Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Poodle question

I recently saw a picture of a poodle with fur that looked soft and wavy vs tight and curly and poofy. Is this a grooming method or do poodles have different coats? I really liked how soft the wavy fur looked.

TIA!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I don't know much about poodles, but we had a toy poodle growing up. My parents always had her fur groomed into a "puppy cut." It was shorter and her fur looked wavy. So, I'm guessing that it all depends on how the fur is clipped.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Twin 2.0

It may have just been the cut, it may have just been groomed. Poodles only have the one type of coat I believe.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Yorkie Love

Young poodles have soft hair that is more wavy then curly. My 8 month old still has this hair, while my 1 and a half year old already has the curly hair.

Also, when the older poodles come home from the groomer they have soft hair that is not as curly as it was just blown out.

Hope this helped.

Elissa
Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Puppy Dog

So as an adult will poodles always have the tighter curls? Is it hard to learn to blow out their fur? Does blowing it out make it softer? Are the tight curls just as soft? Is grooming expensive?

Thank you so much for answering my questions, I have been researching dog breeds for months now and I keep coming back to poodles as an option. I really would like a low shedding dog because of my allergies, but I also don't want a high maintenance coat (like say a SCWT which are beautiful and also low shedding, I'm just not sure I could afford the grooming!).
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Puppy Dog

Poodle Mommy, is the second dog from the left in your bottom signature a full poodle? Is he a baby? I like his coat. I guess what I don't want in a poodle is the show clipping style, with the poofy bangs and ears and feet. Maybe I'm being too picky, I just prefer a more natural shaggy look to a dog.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Twin 2.0

You can learn to do a puppy cut on your poodle at home, it's not that hard. It's just getting the dog used to having it's face shaved, etc. About every six weeks is recommended to keep it looking it's best.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Rusty but Trusty

When a poodle goes to a groomer, well atleast the one that I used to work for, they did something called fluff drying where they would brush and dry at the same time to give their coat a soft, fluffy, not curly appearance. Poodles should have curly coats though because that is what keeps them "non-shedding" is the loose hairs get stuck in the curls and then brushed out with the regular grooming.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Poodle puppies have very soft, wavy coats. As they are clipped and get older it does tend to change to a harder feel and more of a curl. I keep my 2 standard poodles in an even clip year-round without any real close shaving with just a little more length for warmth in winter. They are clipped every 8 wks and it is extremely easy to maintain. I do keep their ears a little longer as you can see in my avatar picture but if you prefer they can be considerably shorter as their ear leather is actually quite small. Their coat is softer when they come home from the groomer. There is spray-on conditioner that you can use between times to have their coat have a softer feel. Chloe's coat is a little softer than Farley's. Occasionally if we are going somewhere special, such as a nursing home visit, I will condition their coat and give them a good brush out. The residents always say they feel like little lambs when they pet them.

As far as grooming cost I found there is a wide range out there. I have been using the same groomer for the past 7 yrs and he charges me $55/dog but from what I have heard that is lower than normal in my area. I recently referred another poodle owner there and she was quoted $75. It is something you can definitely shop around for. Also, many people do the clipping themselves.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Yorkie Love

Finding a good groomer is hard and they can be expensive... I currently pay about 60 dollars per dog to have them groomed. I have no idea how hard it is, as I have never tried it.

The dog you are referring to in my siggy did not have her "curly coat" yet when that photo was taken. However, since I get mine groomed every 6 weeks unless they get rained on, or wet for some other reason, they never get the really tight curls.

I would say, if you are interested, start looking for a breeder and contact ones you like. They will probably be more then willing to have you come visit and you can meet the adult dogs. This will allow you to get a better idea of the breed and test out the different breeders at the same time.

Good Luck in your search... Poodles are great dogs.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...as well other members on here with poodles are poodlesmom and giny that I know of... they can both help you out as well.

Elissa