Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default anyone have bettas?

We bought a male betta for Emily's aquarium Saturday and I'm so confused about this fish. We acclimated him to the water right (rested the cup on the surface for 15 minutes and then added the tank water from Emily's tank a little bit at a time for about 1 hour before adding the fish). This fish has barely eaten he's pecked at a few of his betta pellets but spits them out, he ate a couple freeze dried bloodworms but not much. He swims a little but for the most part his is really lazy.

The tank was cycled prior to getting the betta because we originally planned on putting a goldfish in the tank and then the LFS said a 10 gallon was too small for a goldfish.

Anyway, anyone have advice?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

My last betta was lazy as all get out. He'd sit there and stare at me and would only swim when food came.

My new betta is much different. He likes to hide and he's a swimmer, but he has his moments where he is pretty stationary and it scares me a little, lol.

Make sure that he has a place to hide, some fake plants or what not, condition his water.

Is he in good shape? For instance, I knew my betta needed some TLC... he's on some meds to get his fins and color back. He loves his food, though. Bettas also need warm water- do you have a heater?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Is the betta the only fish in the tank? What is the temperature of the water? And, lastly, do you have a filter or something going on in the tank that's causing a lot of water movement?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Oh, that ^ reminds me, my new betta loves to swim through the bubbles of the filter.. *chuckles* he's funny.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29 View Post
Is the betta the only fish in the tank? What is the temperature of the water? And, lastly, do you have a filter or something going on in the tank that's causing a lot of water movement?
yeah it's a 10 gallon with 1 male betta. I have a heater and it's set at 75, but it's about 74 degrees in there. I do have a filter as well because it was set up for a goldfish so I had the water and the filter running and cycled the water and put the heater in when I decided to do something else.

We have 4 fake plants in there now that he hides in.

We do condition his water and also use Cycle every week as well with the water changes. He seems to be in good condition his color is good and he doesn't seem to have any problems so I haven't been treating him for anything yet.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Here he is swimming in his tank:

Here's a blurry close up of him:

Last edited by juliefurry; 03-19-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add 2nd picture
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Fishies!

More heat!

80-82F makes for a much more active, and better eating betta.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I agree. ^ My betta is normally around 82-84, but not over that.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Twin 2.0

Agreed. Bettas aren't quite as active as goldfish anyway. Mine didn't really eat more than a few pellets until 3-5 days after I got them and then it was only 6 pellets once a day. I quit using freezedried bloodworms in the regular "fish food" cans after I kept getting horrible cases of tail rot. Quit using the bloodworms, no more tail rot.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

What a lucky betta, all that room to himself!

Yes, just crank up the heat a bit more and see how he does then. Bettas are naturally finicky eaters and may not eat for a few days after you bring them home. Just keep offering the bits, but refrain from giving the freeze-dried bloodworms -- too much of those can cause intestinal blockage.

And it looks fine from the pictures, but if there's a little too much water movement, you might want to turn the filter down a notch. They don't seem to like too much water movement. I guess there are exceptions like Buddy's Parent's, but from my experience, my bettas have always done better without too much disturbance. Plus, they like to hang out still and peacefully at the top often.

Good luck!