Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Stanna

I doubt owning just one will allow for any wins. Definitely not enough wins to earn it's keep .

Alot of greyhound rescue places organized just for fun races where no money is involved, just to allow the dog a chance to do what it was bred to do...RUN...without the drawbacks associated with professional racing.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:34 AM
BusterLove

ok, sounds fun, flychasing sound good to u guys?

Old 06-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Show Dog

what is fly chasing?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 PM
BusterLove

lewer coursinf it is called sorry, got the name confused, a heap of pullies along the ground with a flag attached to a string and your dog gets to chase it.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Show Dog

Hi, not sure of the rules in Aus but but here greyhounds have to be registered to race and have a licenced trainer with kennels to live in while racing or you would have to apply for a trainer license yourself. For one dog it can cost a lot with very little financial reward. If you want an ex racer (and they are are fantastic dogs) that desperately need homes then it really depends on the dog whether it would like coursing, many retire due to injuries which whilst not stopping them from living a long and happy life may stop them running seriously. Greyhounds like nothing more than a shortish walk a couple of times a day with maybe a quick sprint a couple of times a week and a very comfy sofa the rest of the time. If you want more info there is a link I can send you but Im not sure if Im allowed to on this forum.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Active Pup

Default whippet?

Think about a whippet too if you want it to run in a sport, but not for money. I don't know how the "bussiness" of racing is in Aussie but its detestable here and I wouldn't own a dog so it could participate in that kind of life.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:15 AM
Harley & Abby

Greyhound racing is a bit controversial here, in Australia. There is a greyhound racing track at the end of my old street (I still live closeby), and most of the people there would have about 4-5 dogs each.. but I guess if this was in the country they'd have double the amount of dogs. The council does not permit the greyhounds to be in the parks surrounding the greyhound track unless they are wearing muzzles.

Anyway, it is really nice that you are thinking of resucing an off-the-track greyhound. There are many other sports you could persue with your dog besides racing. What about agility or flyball (which I think is what you were referring to, not fly chasing?). Is your dad really keen on racing this greyhound?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:16 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl
Think about a whippet too if you want it to run in a sport, but not for money. I don't know how the "bussiness" of racing is in Aussie but its detestable here and I wouldn't own a dog so it could participate in that kind of life.

Whippet would be no good for my dad, he doesn't like little dogs, anyway it isnt going to happen, he says things a lot that don't happen so all is good

Old 06-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Active Pup

Who told you greyhounds kill??
Old 06-23-2005, 07:09 PM
BusterLove

What do you mean?
I ment it as in they have a HUGE prey drive. I am not sure I completley understand you.