Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
BusterLove

Default greyhound for a racer

my dad is considering getting a greyhound in the next few years. he reckons to race it you need to blood it. i disagree, the last thing we need is a blooded greyhound when we own 2 rabbits and cat and a small dog.

positive reinforcement trainign and pure instinct would get it to run right?
i think if we get one, it should be off the track... but then there is always the gamble it will try to kill the other animals...

the reson i think getting this dog is ok is because i know it will have a good home to come back to when its racing carrerr is ova...

Old 05-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

People that race them usualy have way more than just a couple because it is such a long shot. To just get one and race is probally going to cost more. I don't know where your from though,maybe its different. I just know when my aunt got hers the guy was getting rid of like 100 more.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Felurian

Go to the stickied thread in the rescue forum. There is a racetrack closing and there are hundreds of active racing dogs that need to be rescued or they will be killed when the track closes.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-07-2005, 01:36 AM
BusterLove

i heard about that, but i live in australia...

Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce
People that race them usualy have way more than just a couple because it is such a long shot. To just get one and race is probally going to cost more. I don't know where your from though,maybe its different. I just know when my aunt got hers the guy was getting rid of like 100 more.
yeah, but i dont think we are seroious about it, more like a pet that might earn his keep , l

Old 05-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

I hate greyhound racing..or animal racing of any sort..the conditions most of the owners put them in are disgusting..you have like 10 greyhounds in a kennel under terrible conditions and its FREEZING in there..no beds, matting, even a rug!..they are worm infested, no vet checks..and when they can't race anymore they're left to die..its so sick..I don't support racing because although there may be good owners out there, they are rare in this so called "business" and it doesn't help the fact that the bad ones are still gonna flourish..maybe instead of getting your dog into racing, you could do it for fun instead of money...they have special clubs and stuff..you could win trophies...just a suggestion..
Old 05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
I hate greyhound racing..or animal racing of any sort..the conditions most of the owners put them in are disgusting..you have like 10 greyhounds in a kennel under terrible conditions and its FREEZING in there..no beds, matting, even a rug!..they are worm infested, no vet checks..and when they can't race anymore they're left to die..its so sick..I don't support racing because although there may be good owners out there, they are rare in this so called "business" and it doesn't help the fact that the bad ones are still gonna flourish..maybe instead of getting your dog into racing, you could do it for fun instead of money...they have special clubs and stuff..you could win trophies...just a suggestion..
yeah, i dont like it heaps much anyway.but it might be better off to save one that might end up living in those squallad conditions, fly chasing might be fun for it

Old 05-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

What does that mean to "blood it"??
Old 05-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

I think blood it means to have it taste and kill a rabbit so they are racing for a kill. No way , MRose, would this be a house pet.....rescued greyhounds are a sorry bunch and thank the good Lord there's a huge rescue group for these poor dogs and yet so many are put down. It's almost like wanting a Pitt , but have it learn it's keep by fighting. Please have him re-consider.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:10 AM
BusterLove

i dont seee the problem with owning one as long as it is treated fairly and trained to run not to "kill" it probably wont even happen and if it does, it will end up sleeping in the house.
but i will listen, its not like i have ever owned a greyhound, i would like to know if this is going to be a bad decision