Starting Foster Dogs

mrose_s

BusterLove
I am interested in Fostering dogs.
How exactly do i go about it, do i buy the aniamals on their last day at the shelter and then try to sell them through the newspaper and stuff...???

plus, i think they would be great socialization for my own dogs

Vickih

Various shelters need foster homes for their dogs - I'm starting by meeting with a couple of people from the shelters :)

joce

I know of a couple people that do it by going into the pound and seeing who looks like they have a good shot. If its close to their time then they take them,socialize them and find them a home. It isn't cheap or easy though. A lot of the dogs are scared and your dogs need to be as well socialized as they can be beforehand.

bubbatd

I'd go to the rescue groups in your area ... that way you'll foster healthy, needy dogs and the group will pay for any costs beyond feeding and loving them. I'd love to foster from shelters, but unfortunately most of the un-adoptable ones are going to have major problems. Most shelters will up date shots, spay or neuter , but I don't think will pay for the $500- $700. heart worm treatment.

I foster through our local animal shelter. I pick the dog from their shelter, take it home, it stays with me and I bring it to adoption events twice a week. I work on training them and correcting any behavior problems, and the shelter pays all medical costs and provides food.

mrose_s

BusterLove
thats great, do you get the ones that are on their last day?
THats what im planning on doing becaus ethere is no point in getting a dog that someone could walk in and find next day

EliNHunter

mrose_s said:
thats great, do you get the ones that are on their last day?
THats what im planning on doing becaus ethere is no point in getting a dog that someone could walk in and find next day
That's very commendable. I would do that too. REALLY saving a dog that way. That's how I got my Hunter. He was due to be euthanized on a Friday and I got him the night before! (it was all set up, but he was really on their euthanize schedule for that Friday). :(

Members online

No members online now.