Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-17-2007, 05:54 AM
BusterLove

Default keeshond

i saw one on a shelter site i often visit. i havn't seen them before. any information?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

http://www.keeshond.org/

The Keeshond is a very old breed, and one of the very few which throughout history have always been raised for family companions and watchdogs. The fact that they have not been bred to hunt, kill animals, attack or chase criminals undoubtedly accounts for their gentle, intelligent devotion to their owners as home-loving dogs with a special fondness for children, for which they are renowned.

The are descendants of the same prehistoric ancestry from which evolved among others, the much larger Samoyeds, Huskies, Norwegian Elkhounds and tiny Pomeranians, and apparently came into Europe with ancient voyagers from the North, a great many centuries ago.

In the 17th and 18th centuries, they were expensively used as watchdogs on river boats, farms, and barges and were known in Germany as "Wolfspitzen"; in France as "Chiens Loup"; in Italy as "Lupini"; and in Holland as "Keeshonden" - pronounced "kayz-hawnd-en," being the Dutch plural. Because of their great popularity and historically political prominence in Holland in the 18th Century, the breed has become known as the "Dutch" Keeshond.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:25 AM
BusterLove

okay. sounds awesome. just wondering a bit about them. that was helpful thanks

Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

did you go to the link? you can find out anything you want to know.

personally i cant get past thier looks. lol
Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Love My KEEShond

Oh my goodness, Keesies are wonderful. As you may know, Max is a keeshond. He's an excellent guard dog, and Keesies are known to be "talkers". They're extrememly family orientated and would die for attention. But that also makes them extrememly jealous when playing with another pet.

They're coats are extremely thick, and they have that undercoat too. So their coats require a lot of extra brushing and care.

They generally live up to 14 years if I remember correctly, they're part of the non-working group, and they loooove children.

If you have any more questions just PM me