Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Your looking at the wrong formula then. No corn in what I used to feed.
We feed kirklands now-not the best but its the only food all of my dogs do good on.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i am looking at the power forumla. that is the only forumla eagle pack has that has enough protein/fat in it for my tastes.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Ground Brown Rice, Anchovy & Sardine Meals, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Gluten Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Lecithin, Inositol, Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtilus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't feed it then if you have to feed the one with the corn.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

thats what i was thinking

what, is there no such thing as a food with 20***37; fat, and 30% protein that ISNT junk??
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

There is nothing wrong with corn. The only time it's an issue is when it's poor quality or if your dog is allergic. Eagle Pack has very high quality ingredients and it's corn is high quality as well. You have been feeding corn all this time in the Nutro...why not switch to a much better quality food with better quality corn?

Or, choose one of their holistic select formulas and just add an egg a day to up the protein.

Or, you could contact the dealer that sells Innova and ask if they carry or could special order the Healthwise line. They have an active food that is 30% protein and 20% fat.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

oh thank you so much
Old 03-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Puppy Dog

I have no issue with corn as long as it isn't one of the major ingredients, and at the 2nd ingredient it definitely is. Corn definitely boosts the protein percentage, but it isn't the same as protein that comes from meat. Also, a lot of the corn is going straight through your dog. A kind of extreme example is when I gave Gingerbread one of those Booda Velvet Cornstarch bones. He ate half of it and a few hours later he RAN to his puppy pad and had a huge soft bowel movement of corn that went straight through his system. That's typical of corn based dog foods also for dogs to have larger stools than when eating foods that aren't so heavy in grains/fillers.

And yes, there are foods in the 30% protein 20% fat range that aren't junk.

Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural

Chicken Meal, Fresh Chicken, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Low Ash Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Eggs, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Whole Milk, Dried Whey Extract, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Casein, DL - Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Taurine, Lysine, Carnitine, Choline Chloride, Creatine, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation, Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Enterbacter Faecium Fermentaion Product, Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product, Blueberries, Cranberries, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Protein- 36%
Fat- 18%

Nature's Logic Chicken Meal (Their Venison and Duck & Salmon foods have the same protein/fat levels)

Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Montmorillonite, Brewer’s Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavor, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

Protein 36%
Fat 15%

Nature's Logic Lamb Meal

Lamb Meal, Millet, Safflower Oil, Montmorillonite, Brewer’s Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavor, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

Protein- 30%
Fat- 15%

Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit

Bison | Salmon Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D3 Supplement | Folic Acid |

Protein- 28%
Fat- 18%

Notice that in all of those the protein is all from MEAT, not corn.