Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

did you know that the bedlington terrier is actually a general sporting breed? game hunting, water retrieval... you name it

of course akc labels them under terrier, no wonder why! they are not used for that anymore especially in America.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I Love My Belgian

It was only the story of Old Yeller that desribed him as a black mouth cur. In actuality he was a mutt they adopted from a shelter as a puppy as a mixed breed and later called him a lab/mastiff mix.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Did you know...

A Bassett Hound is the only dog that cannot swim. Their legs and bodies are not the right porportions to enable them to carry their own weight in the water.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

has anyone ever seen smokey and the bandit?
snowmans bassett, Fred went for a swim in the pound! but snowman had to go after him because Fred is a bad swimmer.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Did you know that the cool wiggle boxers have is called kidney-beaning? And no matter what they eat boxers farts smell like corned beef.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
Did you know? The Siberian Husky is NOT the same thing as the dogs of Siberia who were created, bred, and owned by the Chukchis people? Yes Seppala brought over dogs from Siberia but once here in North America they were bred with other breeds to keep the lines going and eventually the term ""Siberian Husky"" was adopted. These days it is very rare to find a purebred Siberian Husky that looks anything like the dogs of Siberia did.

The dog closest to the front is Midstar''s Juneau, he is pretty close to what the dogs of Siberia looked like. Very rangy and snipey (more ""wolfish"" in appearance instead of the ""teddy-bears"" you see often today, mainly in the show lines - think OC)
Dear god. Folks, for factual info, contact the National club or get some books. The International Siberian Husky Club puts out a great book. http://ishclub.org/

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-18-2007, 03:26 PM
House Of Jurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
Dear god. Folks, for factual info, contact the National club or get some books. The International Siberian Husky Club puts out a great book. http://ishclub.org/
I don't unbderstand how crossbreeding would "keep lines going." But that's just me
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Pembroke Welsh Corgis have webbed feet
They were used in Wales to retrieve fowl by poor farmers who couldn't afford a more appropriate dog.

In Wales during times of collective farming PWC's were used as reverse herders. They would keep their owners livestock away from other farmers' livestock while at the same time spreading the livestock out as much as possible in order to have as much grazing land as possible. Smart little buggers

Some people believe that corgis were originally used as "fiery steeds" which fairy's rode into battle. They still carry what is known as the "fairy saddle" on their backs. (This is how Izzy got her name, with help from Grammy, Coombsie's Faerie Chariot)

Pembroke Welsh Corgis are not related to Cardigan Welsh Corgis (although before they were registered as seperate breeds there was a lot of inbreeding).Pembies come from Pomeranians, Schkipperkes, and Swedish Vallhunds, while Cardis come from dachshunds and collies.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Happy

Bearde Collies are one of the few breeds whose coat color can not only lighten with age, but darken as well - and will often go through a variety of different colorations through a dog's lifetime?

I've read this, have no idea what the other breed(s) might be, but I have seen it firsthand in my Beardie and have 10 years worth of photos showing her sporting a wide variety of colors, from black to silver and back again.

As to the Old Yeller Debate - it's worth mentioning that 'cur' is also a general way of refering to a dog, particularly if you don't like the dog, and the protagonist of the book disliked Yeller for most of the book.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm PAWMAZING!

only four albino Dobermans have ever received ANY AKC-sanctioned performance titles in the 25 year history of the mutation.

Did you know that it is a sin, Immorality lies within- September

I am a "Female Dog"