Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Snow Girl

Default Did you know...

I thought it would be neat for us to put up little facts about breeds of dogs. Please only one fact per post and elaborate as much as you can on it! If you see something interesting and wish to question it, please start a different thread on it, itd be neat to have just a ""random breed facts"" thread without all the extra discussion. I''ll start....

Did you know? The Siberian Husky is NOT the same thing as the dogs of Siberia who were created, bred, and owned by the Chukchis people? Yes Seppala brought over dogs from Siberia but once here in North America they were bred with other breeds to keep the lines going and eventually the term ""Siberian Husky"" was adopted. These days it is very rare to find a purebred Siberian Husky that looks anything like the dogs of Siberia did.

The dog closest to the front is Midstar''s Juneau, he is pretty close to what the dogs of Siberia looked like. Very rangy and snipey (more ""wolfish"" in appearance instead of the ""teddy-bears"" you see often today, mainly in the show lines - think OC)

One more

Now compare him to Bain's Norther Hopes are High (OC's dad)

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Angel Chicken

One random fact...

Jack Russell's tails are cropped short for a reason!

Jack Russell Terriers are great hunters, hunting fox. They have short, stout bodies so they can easily follow a fox into it's den. The tails are usually cut to about 4 inches long, to provide a good hand hold for the owner/hunter. When they go into a fox's den, the cropped tail is useful for the owner to pull out the dog without hurting him/her.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Dafuq?

Did you know...? A Pit Bull's head is the hardest thing in the world? OK, wait, that's not an actual fact. ...or is it? Mua ha ha.

Dang, I wish I could think if something truthful and cool to add to this topic, but its just not coming to me. I'll check back later and see if the ol' brain thinks of something.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Many people think that Dalmatians are named so because they are from Dalmatia but that isnt true, no one is sure of the exact origins of Dalmatians.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

The name "collie" is often attributed to the Anglo-Saxon word "coll", referring to the black faced "Colley" sheep in Scotland that they typically tended. It has actually been determined by several experts that the name Collie is derived from the Gaelic word for "useful" because the Collie was an all-round dog, who could herd, hunt and protect as needed in order to care for their family as well as the flock. Honestly, I think this one makes a lot more sense!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

did you know that australian shepherds did not originate in australia?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM
lurking near the surface

i think i mentioned this in another thread at some point, but here it is again:

did you know that tibetan terriers [aka dhoki apso dogs] are not terriers at all? they were bred by monks in tibet [one of the most ancient dog breeds known] and were considered to be good luck [kharma] and were too valued to ever be sold. they were only given as gifts. they were finally introduced to the western world when some were given to an english doctor who eventually bred them. it was westerners that gave them the incorrect tag of "terrier."
Old 03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't encourage me..

Did you know...

That the Alsation or German Shepherd dog was so named because it was believed to have originated in Alsace when Alsace was considered German territory. After many wars over this small area, it became French permanently... The Germans didn't want them taking credit for their breed of herding dog, so they changed the name to the more well known German Shepherd Dog.

Although, I still call them Alsations from time to time...

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Dafuq?

Ooh! Along the lines of Daaqa's post about the Tibetan Terrier not really being a terrier, the Tibetan Spaniel is also not really a spaniel.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Did you know? Pug feet smell like... Fritos, seriously