Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

I've personally have never liked in breeding . You may get some outstanding pups and some absolute duds . Line breeding is good when you know what you're doing .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I've personally have never liked in breeding . You may get some outstanding pups and some absolute duds . Line breeding is good when you know what you're doing .
Ditto from me. It may be stupid but I would never buy a dog who has been inbred or line bred. I am sure the breeders know what they are doing but it is a personal preference.

Although he came from an idiot BYB who knew NOTHING of breeding dogs, I have an inbred epileptic Dalmatian.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about breeding either, but I dont see why you would inbreed any dogs, seems like they are more likely to develop genetic defects, kind of like people who marry their cousin & have kids.

Line breeding is a bit different because (if I understand) breeders breed farther down the line. I wouldnt buy anything but an out bred dog with good lines on both sides.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptashelterpettoday View Post
Ditto from me. It may be stupid but I would never buy a dog who has been inbred or line bred. I am sure the breeders know what they are doing but it is a personal preference.

Although he came from an idiot BYB who knew NOTHING of breeding dogs, I have an inbred epileptic Dalmatian.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about breeding either, but I dont see why you would inbreed any dogs, seems like they are more likely to develop genetic defects, kind of like people who marry their cousin & have kids.

Line breeding is a bit different because (if I understand) breeders breed farther down the line. I wouldnt buy anything but an out bred dog with good lines on both sides.
In-breeeding, line-breeding and outcrossing all have their place and their importance in well thought out breeding programs.

Breeders who have worked very hard to develop a line of healthy dogs can be weary of outcrossing due to the fact that you are introducing new genetics into the gene pool and therefor you have potential for new health problems to be introduced that you worked so hard as a breeder to breed out of your line.

This concept can work against you as well. If you aren't careful, don't know the pedigrees and health behind the dogs you are breeding then line-breeding can "lock" in certain genetic health problems and poor structural traits etc.

So, line-breeding and in-breeding can either make or break your breeding program. It can either preserve health and desired traits, or it can destroy them. Outcrossing can be disasterous as well because you are introducing more genes that have potential to carry genetic health problems and undesired traits of neither parent, but a distant ancestor.

I think I would trust a line-bred dog from a long time, knowledgeable breeder more than I would a random outcross. With a line-breeding, you know what you are working with and what to expect from the puppies. Some of the healthiest, sound dogs I know come from a long time responsible line-breeding program.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

I did line breeding , but only with my mentor's recommendation ...... never close and always two generations back .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
CASSA

Personally I am for outcrossing and linebreeding ( only on dogs you yourself have created thus knowing pros and cons)

I will NEVER inbreed ( full bro X Sis, Sire to kid, dam to kid).

Closest I will go is Grandsire to grand kid from 3 generations of outcrosses.

Mind you I breed for working ability thus setting type is NOT a concern for me.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].