Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Water Junkie

Default In Breeding, Line Breeding, and Out Breeding

What are your thoughts on this?

I have done some research on this, but I am not sure which one is ethical.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

All are ethical if done properly and with much research and deliberation. Outcrossing doesn't guarantee freedom from problems any more than inbreeding/line breeding guarantees there will be problems.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Are you dead yet?

Any can be ethical depending on the breed in question and the individuals that are to be bred. In Border Collies, a lot of inbreeding is frowned upon simply because nearly everyone wants to keep the gene pool relatively diverse. However, linebreeding (still "doubling up" or more on certain dogs, but not breeding close relatives) is quite common. Outcrossing to entirely different lines is the most common type of breeding done in working Border Collies, it seems. Eve is from an outcross breeding.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

ethical IMO
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

It's ethical if you know your dogs. It's pretty moronic if you don't know your dogs or their pedigrees though.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

All three have their place.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Water Junkie

Okay Thanks guys

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
All are ethical if done properly and with much research and deliberation. Outcrossing doesn't guarantee freedom from problems any more than inbreeding/line breeding guarantees there will be problems.
Great post!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Loves off-leash training!

I've looked into this quite a bit with my interest in possibly breeding my chow (someday .. maybe .. *L*). Her pedigree has some linebreeding in it and I've found that most of the big breeders do some linebreeding in order to "set" their lines. When you look at a certain dog and it has characteristics that make it pretty obvious it comes from a particular breeder, that's generally done with some judicious linebreeding. Hopefully those traits are GOOD ones.

Linebreeding is actually, in human comparisons, inbreeding. There are no set-in-stone definitions of linebreeding. One breeder summed it up this way: "If it works, it's linebreeding. If it doesn't, it's inbreeding". But I think most breeders consider it inbreeding when you breed half siblings, or father to daughter. Linebreedings would be a bit farther out, like uncle to niece.

All of it has its place, and done right can really emphasize a line. Regardless of what you're doing, you should really know your dog's pedigree and what you're breeding to (especially with health). I see line/inbreeding done by backyard breeder types and there's often no consideration of health in those. They simply breed what's available often in order to try to get dogs with a popular trait (in chows, creams seem to be the pet owner's color of choice and I've come across a number of breeders who are simply trying to supply creams - and ignoring other issues, like elbow and hip dysplasia and eye problems).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 AM
I Love My Belgian

All of them can be a blessing or a curse -- all depends on if you know what you're doing. Personally I prefer linebreeding on a good line.
Most of the outcrosses I've experienced have not been good ones. A good amount of linebreeding will create cookie-cutter type pups. An outcross of two lines can pick up some wild cards in the background and give you something you weren't expecting. That's why lines have to be researched carefully. I did not know lines very well when I did my first breeding and I regret it. I am now very well-learned and have chosen another outcross for my next breeding. I'm very excited about this one.
I would do an inbreeding on a dog with an excellent temperament. That would be my one and only reason for an inbreeding or close linebreeding. Many people will do it to perfect conformation, but conformation is not my main priority -- temperament and health are. I'm expecting my next litter to be a very nice one and I wouldn't be surprised if I did something close.