Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Jerk.

Also plan to upgrade your tank as well as adding filtration, for your fish to live a long healthy life. Properly fed fish grow fast and produce alot of waste, goldfish especially. The amout of waste goldfish produce is much more than your average tropicals.

If you are gonna cycle your tank with fish spend the money and get a test kit, you will also need it for when ever you upgrade your tank and to moniter for a crash, or if you get multiple tank syndrome.

Im suprised you are putting your fish through the stress and discomfort of cycling the tank with your staunch stance against abusing animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I was told never to keep a goldfish in a less than 30 gallon tank. We went in to buy 2 fantail goldfish for Emily's tank she has and the store would not sell them to us because they will outgrow her 10 gallon. They DID NOT try to sell us another tank but just said that if we were not planning on upgrading her tank (which we're not) than they could not sell us the fish because they need about 30 gallons.

Our goldfish have never had a problem with just being plopped right into a tank though. Although we did not know there was such a thing as cycling a tank though until we got the 75 gallon tank. We always filled the tank, treated the water, and let it sit 2-3 days before adding fish. Now that we know we cycle the tank for atleast a month before adding fish and do water tests atleast once a day.

I would just do the water changes, check for stress in the fish and don't be surprised if they come down with Ick or something. Goldfish are really messy fish and do grow big. However we've had fantails for as long as me and Mark have been dating and they had never grown bigger than our hand.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 AM
BusterLove

well. they all are fantails. sorry, should have specified that. and the last lot of goldfish we had never grew to more than about 4-6cm long. and they had a massive pond all to themselves.

fish will only grow to the size of their environment right? this is just going on personal experience that i've had over my life though

Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
fish will only grow to the size of their environment right?
That is false and a myth, Im suprised you havent done more research reguarding fishkeeping and their ethical treatment.

By cycling a tank with fish you are stressing them out, at worse subjecting them to very painful burns as part of the cycle.

Ive cycled 1 tank with fish, that was enough of a learning experience for me, Im suprised your mom, who has had fish, let you cycle a tank with fish.

Or are they just fish?

Quote:
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Goldfish can live for 20+ years and reach sizes in excess of 15"

You need 20 U.S. gallons for the first fish
and 10 U.S. gallons for each additional fish
This means that in order to keep 5 goldfish
in a tank you would require 60 U.S. gallons.

A goldfish will not grow to its enviroment.
Its' body may, however the internal organs will not.
This can lead to serious problems with deformaties and death

Fancy Goldfish (moores, fantails, lionheads, etc) should
not be kept with common fish (goldfish, comets, shubunkins etc.)
this is due to the slowness of the fancies when it comes to feeding
and due to the more commons nipping fins.

This information I found at fishforums.net

Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Fishies!

A fish the size of your hand still could't turn around easily in an 8g tank. I have several fish around that size and they are very messy.

Fish only grow to the size of their environment because they die early. Its a self perpetuating myth. Person buys a fish that grows to be 3 feet (those are sold in fish stores!) puts it in a 40l tank, and it dies in 3 months at 5 inches. It grew to the size of its tank, right? Sure it didn't get actually break the glass, but it did not live a full life. Fish actually never stop growing, they just slow down as they age.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
A fish the size of your hand still could't turn around easily in an 8g tank. I have several fish around that size and they are very messy.

Fish only grow to the size of their environment because they die early. Its a self perpetuating myth. Person buys a fish that grows to be 3 feet (those are sold in fish stores!) puts it in a 40l tank, and it dies in 3 months at 5 inches. It grew to the size of its tank, right? Sure it didn't get actually break the glass, but it did not live a full life. Fish actually never stop growing, they just slow down as they age.
The fish are so small now how cruel can it be to keep 4 or 5 goldfish in an 8g? Im sure she is planning to uprgrade to a 100g with filtration very soon. Provided her fish survive the cycle.

Quote:
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 03-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I have to admit before I knew better I added fish without cycling, had too many fish in 1 tank (I started out with a 1 gallon tank with a pair of guppies, and a goldfish...how cruel is that). When I actually researched a little I found out better and now make a more conscience effort when selecting my fish.

I would really consider taking the goldfish back, letting the tank cycle, and then selecting a smaller schooling fish for your tank. Things like guppies and maybe 1 single betta or a couple female bettas would do better in the tank (with decorations for them to hide).

Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Jerk.

Im sure you mean to keep these fish so you need to test the water twice a day as well as doing at least a 1/3rd water change daily until the cycle is done.

Quote:
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

good posts everyone. i have nothing to add, you said it all.