Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Top Dog

Default Adding weight/muscle to a dog

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. What can I add to Dukes food to help him develop muscle or even just put on some weight. I dont know Dukes exact weight/height but hes the height of a tall lab and maybe weighs 60 pounds at most. You can't see ribs but he does look very lean and could easily add 10 pounds and not look different. He doesnt eat much at all. He free feeds and eats when he feels like it. He maybe goes through 2 cups a day give or take, and hes just over a year. He does have a very sensitive stomach any food with too much fruits or vegetable makes him very sick and gives him diareaha for days on end. Right now he is on Performatrin (sp?) and does wonderful on it, coats great/energy level is awesome, very healthy. He is very active and we spend easily 2-3 hours offleash running around. Is there anything I can add to add weight and also help develop his muscles??

Reading around on the food thread I noticed people give there dogs eggs? What does an egg do for them?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be great.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Eggs are my savior!

My Male Am. Pit Mix was a scrawny little thing for the longest time because he would just NOT eat. He was very uninterested in his food, no matter the brand, We went through Royal Canin, Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, and even some not so good brands like Purina. Now we're on Canidae, and he likes it just as much as everything else, but if I throw an egg in there, mix it around and micro it for 30 seconds that bowl is clean and hes looking for seconds.

Since you really cant change foods or things like that, try an egg and see how he reacts and how his stomach reacts as well.

Good protein.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

You could increase the amount of food he is eating to increase his weight.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

I think my dogs are too thin and each time I increase their food 1/4 cup they get pudding poo unless I mix in pumpkin. I also mix in tripett and that's not working for adding weight. I'm at a loss. I'm told they will fill out soon, but in the mean time do I just wait? (I hope this is not a high jack to the thread, I was going to start a post til I saw the same question)
Old 03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Dog Training Girl

For a 60lbs lab getting 2cups aday is NOT enough, my lab is 10mo and 68lbs and gets 5cups a day and is perfect condishion. Take a look at the back of the dog food bag and see how much it reccomends you feed, its a chart that you have to find the dogs age and weight, then it will tell you how many cups to feed.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

^^^ He is not a lab. Sorry out of all that I didnt put his breed in. He is a dutch shepard/australian cattle dog cross. He is the height of a large lab, havent actualy measured him to be exact. I got him at 4 months and hes never been much an eater. He eats when hes hungry and never anymore than that. Now he is just over a year. I dont limit him to the 2 cups aday thats just what I put in his bowl at one time and when he does finish it I fill the bowl agian and he wont touch it till the next day.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

Whackichic "I also mix in tripett and that's not working for adding weight"

What is tripett??? I really dont know to much about food and nutrition and all that. I know the basics but besides that, nothing.

I had someone suggest to me to put him back on puppy food to see if that would add a few pounds. Should I try this??
Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

My 60lb husky/shep only eats 2 cups a day, and she is at an optimal weight! My 190lb Saint Bernard only eats 3 1/2 cups a food a day. It depends on the kind of food that you are feeding, a dog needs to eat less premium food than supermarket food. Are you sure that he needs to gain weight? Alot of the time people think that they have to put weight on their dogs they are actually a good weight! What most owners think is a good weight is actually a little heavy for their dogs. BUT if you do need to put weight on a dog try satin balls- they will pack the pounds on a pooch!

http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html
Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Back of the Pack

Some people rather like adding oil.
Fish oil works well, however it can go bad and doesn't not change in odour or texture so you've no way of knowing in which case it does more harm then good.
Olive Oil is apparently the best non fish oil, however it is rather expensive.

Some people I know like to add a bit of meat.

It depends on your dog... but if they are one of those walk by eat a mouthful and continue on there merry way, increasing the amount of food you put down will likely just result in more food being left in the bowl at the end of the day.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Some days I think he could use a few pounds, other days I think he looks fine. He's just a really lean dog. Everyone else that sees him thinks he should put on a few pounds. He has great muscle tone in his hind end. You can see it all when he does his "look at me Im so handsome" stand. lol. I want him to build a bit more muscle mass but to build muscle you need some mass to do it. Thanks everyone so far for advice given.