Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Water Junkie

No, I would never do that. Or buy from a breeder that is doing this.

If there is a high demand for pups of this breed, then buyer's are going to be willing to wait. And if they are not, they really don't want a pup. IMO

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-09-2007, 08:49 PM
CASSA

We rescued a bitch bred every season from a tire lot in Queens.
She ate rats to help feed the pups.
She had a litter every year of her life for 5 years.
Even thou the pups did survive and she did as well.
I would expect it to cut out her life shorter than most who have not had that many litters let alone every year
Breeding every season should never be done, "ethically" but as evident by this rescue we got can be done.

She still has a habit of killing rats vs eating kibble very hard habit to break for the foster home.

The first question was every season and no matter who answers it should be NO no matter the Vet a OK.

Back to back breedings on dogs who cycle 3-4 times a year is not ok either.

However some breeds only cycle ever 9-13 months Molossers
And even thou a back to back is ok for some _it can RUIN a bitch _ or kill her.

Working dogs and show dogs are VERY hard to breed often cause you lose the ability to title when they are whelping..

So most ethical breeders wont do it they can lose so much in competition.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
CASSA

Oh forgot Quest my first post was in reply to you.
I have worked with DR hutch and if you know of any more materials i can get on breeding to add to my collection pls do post.

What you say is true I have lost a line cause I waited 2 years between litters vs one .
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

Dr. Hutch not only says that the uterus deteriorates with every season, he goes further, saying that a pregnant uterus is MORE healthy than a non-pregnant one.

A bitch's body goes through the exact same thing whether she is carrying puppies or not. Her uterus goes through the motions of having pups even when she has not been bred. This is what happens to animals who's cycles are progesterone based vs. estrogen based. Dogs are progesterone based cyclers. Their progesterone level is what causes them to be able to carry pups. A drop in their progesterone level is what causes them to go into labour. That progesterone level pattern is the same, carrying puppies or not. Its affect to the uterus is the same, whether she carries puppies or not.

I have bred back to back. I would do it again.

If I have a bitch who cycled every four months, I would NOT back to back breed that bitch. Heck, I might not ever breed that bitch. In my breed, I would worry about what underlying health condition is causing her progesterone levels to act in such a way.

If I have a bitch who cycles every 6-7 months, I would consider back to back breeding her, then give her a break. I have done this. But there are circumstances that I have to consider... the condition of the bitch, what kind of mom she was, how she "liked" having puppies, how she recovered from having puppies. There are a lot of variables to consider.

If I had a quality bitch who produced quality puppies that cycled once a year, she would likely be bred back to back.

It's easy for us women who have had children to say that they would never allow a bitch to be bred back to back, based on their own experiences of carrying a child, delivering that child, raising that child. But, in dogs it is different. They don't cycle every 21 days and then are done until next time. Their progesterone based cycles affect them very differently. Because of those progesterone levels, their uterus is in effect, damaged by each and every cycle. And this is why I believe so strongly in spaying non-breeding animals.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Bulacan Pitbull Club

Is it ethical to use DOGS as their primary source of income?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowowee View Post
You mean like breeding a dog for money?

No.

Now if you are a trainer or anything like that, then yes.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowowee View Post
Breeding dogs? Absolutely not. Training dogs, studying dogs, working with dogs, handling dogs, then yes.

Breeding is done to further a breed, to help ensure that the breed will still be here tomorrow.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Bulacan Pitbull Club

Yes. Dog breeding as a livelihood.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Twin 2.0

No. It's not.

I thought we went over a lot of this with you awhile back, which is what got you to change your mind about your breeding habits back then?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Bulacan Pitbull Club

Me? Nope never did that.

But I did breed a couple of dogs just for the sake of breeding them. No purpose at all. Things changed a lot since then.

I asked this question because I've seen a lot of champion breeders who's primary source of income is their dogs.