Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm All Ears

I would not do it. It is hard enough on toys having one litter let alone two in one year. And I agree, most breeders I know have one, maybe two litters a year on occasion. (In my breed that's about 2-5 puppies a year)
Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Top Dog

any breeders who do that are almost byb's to me. They are forcing their dog to be almost constantly carrying puppies. Imagine how stressful that is on her,plus she will have to give birth to all of them which hurts which some people seem to be oblivious to, not saying that you are or even if you are the one that is breeding since I don't know but I think the dog deserves a break ad to feel normal again. The more someone breeds the more they are risking the life of their dog and all the puppies. Imagine if you were the dog, I don't know if you are a female or have ever carried a child but most people are VERY glad to finally get that baby out! Well all I know is that when I look at a breeder I look at the health screenings (OFA), number of bitches, show or work championships, and how many litters they have each year, along with what the environment the puppies are raised in look like. To me a breeder that breeds at every heat is a red flag.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Puppy Dog

I wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't go so far as to say their unethical without first looking at the situation.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowowee View Post
What if the breeder argues that he has made an excellent breeding and that there is a high demand for his puppies will that justify his act?

Responsible breeding is not about fulfilling a market demand, it's about improving the breed.

High demand - I get upwards of 150-200 enquiries a year for my puppies. Doesn't mean I'm going to even attempt to fill it ...
Old 03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
whatszmatter

I know a few people that have bred back to back cycles, witht he health of the bitch and the quality of the puppies in mind. It's not something that should continue for the reproductive life of the bitch or with all bitches, but its not that unheard of, if done with health of the mother in mind, can be done safely with positive outcomes.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

I've NEVER known a good breeder to do that !!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
CASSA

Not a simply Yes or No.

Some bitches look HORRIBLE and take 6 months to get back into shape pregnancy.
Others expecially working dogs can get back into shape in less than 2 months.

Breeding a YOUNG bitch age 2 back to back is NOT good .
Because she needs to understand what whelping and recovering is about ,and to mature a bit more mentally.

Breeding a OLD bitch back to back can KILL her, age 7 Years and up.
SOme breeders breed as old as age 8 or 9 ( I do not)

In between some of the top breeder vets state breed back to back a 3 or 4 year old and then give them a year or two off.

Have not done this YEt cause so far 3 out of my 4 breeding bitches do NOT recover quick enough to breed .

The time can vary for breeds: somel cycle within 30 days of giving birth which I think is horrible to breed back.

I also spay by age 7 years old so in my opinion if I had a choice of breeding a 8 year old dog taking time off or a 5 year old dog back to back.
I would pick the back to back and spay by age 7 years or so.

Also I have LOST stud males to accidents in new homes by co owners.
Hunting , car accidents etc I have almost LOST a entire line i breed because
I do not breed enough , I spay earlier than most, I neutered dogs sold as working pets..

I will continue to do all the above but after becoming a breeder vs a novice.
I do not neuter young any more, I still spay bitches early, and I wont breed too much - cost too much time and money.

But I would breed back to back a bitch that could handle it if .
I needed to preserve the bloodline and I had buyers waiting.
On contingent on the HEALTH of the bitch.

My Vet would of found my older dog "healthy" but I could tell she got WEAK after carrying a large litter, and I as a owner know better than my Vet.

So the Vet "says its ok" is often a common ploy by backyard breeders to justify breeding allot of dogs that can not whelp naturally or dogs with health issues that they want to " get a vets ok to breed".

Most Vets are NOT qualifed breeders their job is to treat sick dogs not to breed dogs. So heh the dogs get sick, teh mom needs 911 emergency care or c section. they will be there to HELP.

NOt thier job to qualify breeders decisions thou some what lame at times.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 03-09-2007, 01:41 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i wouldnt do it. even if the bitch looked great shortly after her last litter.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I personally wouldn't do it, even if the bitch was recovered completely from the last litter and was doing wonderfully.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

To me waiting 6 mos. won't ruin a line or break the hearts of those on the waiting list .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/