Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

To me Affectionate, Loyal, Bonded, willing to engage in fun anytime or any where. Has the friendliness to go anywhere. Also sense of humor is big plus.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

A dog that will snuggle as much as I want, but who is also perfectly okay laying down at my feet. I don't like panting, in your face dogs, and I don't want a dog who is constantly on top of me.

Bombproof with people. I don't ever want to worry that my dog will hurt a person. I don't even particularly want protective. Mild dog-to-dog issues don't bother me, as long as they can be managed around other dogs.

Willing to spend one day in the house hanging out. I get my dog out for a good chunk of exercise almost every day, but I want a dog who can deal if I want to stay home sick in bed for a day.

Off-leash capability. I'm not a runner, so there is no way I could keep a dog on leash and give it sufficient exercise. I like to hike in rural areas with my dog.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are the biggies for me

Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
overdogged

friendly, enthusiastic, outgoing. i don't want a shy or timid dog. i like dogs who are confident and self-assured. i want a dog who likes everybody. i like dogs who aren't clingy and all over me, but who still want to be around and hang out in the same room. i don't want a barky dog.

and i also have a very strong preference for medium-sized dogs, or at least dogs small enough that i could pick them up and move them in an emergency.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Temperment, the ability to be a companion dog, and a working dog at the same time, Not to be to needy like a spoiled child, but also be affectionate and stable.... I like large dogs that I can't pick up..Lol I also couldn't deal with a human aggressive dog.

I would also like a dog to be able to pick up after themselves, including dog hair. Joking!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
A dog that will snuggle as much as I want, but who is also perfectly okay laying down at my feet. I don't like panting, in your face dogs, and I don't want a dog who is constantly on top of me.
Well, that just about sums it up for me perfectly. I like my dog to be around, but also independent enough to occupy himself for awhile. Other qualities I look for are a non-shedding, not drooly breed. I also prefer small dogs for lots of reasons. They're easier in every way- less to feed, clean up after, everything costs less for them, they take up less space in the car, house, bed... Plus I just like that I can carry them if I need to. I like a dog that's quiet and I prefer smushy faced breeds. I also like dogs that are loyal and can be watchdogs, but generally friendly with other people and animals. And very important is a breed that's not very active. I'm a couch potato, homebody type so I can't handle breeds are very active or need lots of exercise. Basically, the ONLY breed I've ever found that fits everything I like is the Shih Tzu. I've found that they're the perfect match for me.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Top Dog

I like/look for the following:

- Highly intelligent (necessity for me)
- Highly attentive (again, a necessity)
- Quick learner (necessity, again)
- Stable temperament/gets along with all people and dogs (I can hardly wait for the day that I can have a dog of my own that I can trust fully in public again around other dogs..)
- High activity level
- Affectionate, but not to the point of constantly being in your face
- Medium sized (min. 30lbs, max. 60lbs)
- An "off switch"
- No aggression at all
- Not overly protective by nature
- Loyalty
- A people pleaser to an extent (I don't enjoy living with dogs that have a "Why should I?", "What good will it do me?" attitude constantly)
- A medium-long coat (or at least a double coat)
- Confident/relaxed in various situations

I'm probably forgetting something...
Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Twin 2.0

Intelligence, humor, fluffy, loyal, playful, affectionate...Aussies fit everything I was looking for.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

sense of humor, personality, i like a dog that suits my energy level. i like a dog that's going to be a bit of a challange, but nothing i can't handle. pretty much what i look for in a dog is the same thing i look for in men, haha.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Puppy Dog

happy, playful, loyal....my dog sleeps alot too so i like that lol...i dont like dogs that are always in your face wanting to play....also the dog has to be nice to anyone weather its little kids or cats....but if someone tries to hurt me he would protect me
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I think one of the most important things would be a dog that is very intelligent, can think for itself, and is always making an attempt to outsmart me. It may seem like an odd like or requirement, but it keeps us both constantly thinking and working. (Would I want more than the one I already have, no, probably not.) I want a confident, stable, attentive, loyal, protective dog that is eager to learn new things. I really do not want a hyperactive dog, a lap dog, or a small dog.