Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Dafuq?

I would really really like to say the APBT. But they have their requirements that many people aren't prepared to meet. To me, they are the ultimate companion. But I wouldn't pair the breed with your average owner, either.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
How so?
It's impossible to explain with words - but Buckshot knows what I mean; so does Filarotten, and Nikki and Mit are learning

It's a very symbiotic relationship and you feel so very honored, especially when you consider that these creatures are perfectly capable of surviving and thriving without us. They CHOOSE to be ours - they don't really need us in the same sense as other dogs do for survival.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
It's impossible to explain with words - but Buckshot knows what I mean; so does Filarotten, and Nikki and Mit are learning

It's a very symbiotic relationship and you feel so very honored, especially when you consider that these creatures are perfectly capable of surviving and thriving without us. They CHOOSE to be ours - they don't really need us in the same sense as other dogs do for survival.

Renee you really do break my heart. I adore the Exmoor pony breed because of the reasons why you love the fila, those ponies are more than capable of living with out us, native hardy ponies that choose to be with people but at the same time can easily live on the moors with no interference. Oh how I hate the dangerous dogs act, I want a Fila .
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

Well, I totally have to go with goldens of course.

Flicka is totally tuned into me. If I want to lay on the couch and watch TV, she's right there. If I want to go for a nice jog, she's right there too.

She's my couch potato. She's also my agility champion.

I have two foster labs, and it amazes me how different goldens and labs are, even though they were both bred to do the same thing, speaking generally.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefern View Post

I have two foster labs, and it amazes me how different goldens and labs are, even though they were both bred to do the same thing, speaking generally.

-Rosefern
Personality wise...how so? (just interested on your take)
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Bulacan Pitbull Club

For people who are capable of being the Alpha Dog, the APBT is the ultimate choice.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Dobermans - especially the boys. I've never met a breed so devoted to their owners
Quote:
My byron of course-After having a dobe nothing compares. Its hard to expalin though.
Gotta agree... but dobes aren't for everyone, and other breeds may be better companions for different people. I can say this though... dobes are loyal to the bitter end. They were created to be bodyguards, and I haven't met a Dobe yet that hasn't been extremely in-tune with their owners. Renee, you say Filas choose to be with humans, even though they could live without them... I see a difference in the Doberman mentality - a dobe thinks, "There is no such thing as life without my owner."

A dobe will die for you, a dobe will stay with you for hours on end if you're feeling blue (even if they reeeeealllly have to potty!), they'll give you exactly what you need as far as companionship is concerned. If you want kisses and jumping, yeah they'll give you that. But if you want a warm body curled up next to you, a quiet companion for hours on end... they'll give you that too.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Gotta agree... but dobes aren't for everyone, and other breeds may be better companions for different people. I can say this though... dobes are loyal to the bitter end. They were created to be bodyguards, and I haven't met a Dobe yet that hasn't been extremely in-tune with their owners. Renee, you say Filas choose to be with humans, even though they could live without them... I see a difference in the Doberman mentality - a dobe thinks, "There is no such thing as life without my owner."

A dobe will die for you, a dobe will stay with you for hours on end if you're feeling blue (even if they reeeeealllly have to potty!), they'll give you exactly what you need as far as companionship is concerned. If you want kisses and jumping, yeah they'll give you that. But if you want a warm body curled up next to you, a quiet companion for hours on end... they'll give you that too.
Filas can SURVIVE without us. They don't need humans to feed them, care for them, shelter them. They can do all of that quite well without us. Their love is such that they CHOOSE to share their lives with us - to death and beyond, and it is a love that they choose to give - and this is a breed that thinks and acts independently. Truthfully, most Dobe owners I have known would be driven insane by a Fila, lol! No well-bred Fila will ever win an obedience title; probably not even a point - something that Dobes excel at

But, in Brazil, the common expression among rich and poor is "faithful as a Fila."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowowee View Post
For people who are capable of being the Alpha Dog, the APBT is the ultimate choice.
It's funny how different people perceive things. I am very capable of being the alpha (I live in a house with multiple bitches - shepherds and chows - peacefully together) but there is nothing about an APBT that attracts me to them. I've been around many, they were loved by their owners but I wouldn't want one any more than I would want a lab or a spaniel. So for me they wouldn't be the ultimate choice at all.

We all have such personal requirements in our companions, both canine and human .. *L* .. and when someone says "there's just something so special about the tundra hound - they're the best!" it only means that they're the best to THAT person. No dog has features that make it special to everyone .. and every breed has those humans who just fit perfectly with that breed.

I must have a split personality, because I will probably always have my two breeds. They both are wonderful companions and each provides things that I treasure.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
The most loyal dog I had was a Chow. Most people don't think they are good companions, but then again, most people aren't experienced enough to be able to enjoy their pleasures.
Chows are exquisite companions to the right people.

As I was laying on my bed earlier, on my side, watching TV .. Khana jumped onto the bed and walked up to my face. She then leaned against me so that her body was pressed against mine and dropped her face so her cheek pressed against my cheek. And then she stood there quietly. I started scratching her back and especially the base of her tail. Her head would come up as I scratched and then every time I'd pause, she'd drop it back down so her cheek was against mine.

I finally told her "go lie down" and she just slid into a down with her body still leaning against mine, then laid her chin on my arm and went to sleep as I watched TV.

No matter where I am in the house, I have three chows and a shepherd following me. They're well-behaved and will stay out of my way if I'm going up and down stairs, but if I sit down I can expect to have Khana sitting on my foot and the other dogs laying directly behind or to the side of the chair. They provide the companionship I need by being there for me - but others might very well find it overwhelming to have all these dogs constantly around. To ME, it's perfect.

ALL of my chows are independent and yet extremely bonded to me. I think people who have never had "independent" breeds would probably be surprised at how close they can be to you if you build a trusting relationship with them. They have to trust you and if you mistreat them then they may never warm up to you. But once they do, they'll lay down their lives for you.

And I love hugging those fuzzy furry bodies!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska