Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
There is something unique, I have found, in the companionship of Filas.
How so?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

My little terrier mix, Radar is the king of cuddles, to the point where it sometimes gets irritating. My beagle is more aloof, not much of a kisser or cuddler, though she likes to sit on the couch with you.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Owned by Belgians

I'd say the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I believe that's their job description.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Salty Sea Dog

firstly it dpends on the persons defination of ultimate companion.

However that being said TOY breeds were primarily bred for 1 reason...COMPANIONSHIP.
any of the toy breeds have "lap warming" down perfectly, plus for their size there very protective of their people.
so in my books ANY toy breed is the perfect true companion (no job just someone to sit around and cuddle with, follow you everywhere and need nothing other than to be in your arms (whereas other breeds might have too much drive and need something to do a toy breed is content just being next to you (or on you))

and to me personally, theres no companion greater than the chihuahua, they live to snuggle, theyll follow you everywhere (including to the bathroom to make sure you come out ok) there soo attentive in their need to be with their person that it can border on obsession and nerosis.
but there damned good lap warmers! and who else can fit under the bed easy enough to make sure theres no evil dust bunnies

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Aren't dogs lucky that that we love different breeds and sizes !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM
lurking near the surface

my answer would be that dogs in general are the kings of companionship over other types of pets. other animals, it all depends on the individual, but dogs in general win consistently.

i've been around some dogs that were horrible companions in my book [mini schnauzers, a chi-dachsie cross, a couple of far-too-over-driven labs] but were great companions in the eyes of their owners [why is beyond me ].

there are some exceptions, though.

i have known of some dogs that were just straight up workers and could really care less about their humans. my aunt, for instance, had a border collie who only wanted to herd the mules. they got him as a cattle dog, and he wasn't interested in cows. funny thing was, the mules totally ignored him. he would spend the whole day trying to herd them and had to be kenneled to get him to eat or sleep. he didn't care about them, didn't care about food, just the mules! not much of a companion.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

My byron of course-After having a dobe nothing compares. Its hard to expalin though. that dog would do anyhting for me and go anywere with me-I don't have a single doubt about him.

My beagle mix is also way up on the list but I've never met another beagle like her. Her and byron are both unqiue in there own special ways.

I don't automatically think of toy breeds mostly because when I think of a companion dog for ME I don't think of something small.

Like for my mom her companion dog is the westie we have right now-this dog doensn't want her out of his site. But that sure isn't my companion dog-he jsut tolerates me.

I think my husky and corgi couldn't care less if we even lived in the house with them sometimes

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I agree it depends on what your needs are in a dog, and all those other factors.
To me my two mutts are perfect companions. They are both different and unique- but we are still bonded and we're wonderful matches.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

I think we all agree it's going to depend on your own needs and how you view a companion. All 3 of our dogs are great companions in their own ways.

If I want a dog that will go anywhere with me, any climate, any conditions, any circumstances, likes to do new things, be active, that dog is Gunnar. But, if I want someone who likes to cuddle, thats not him. He likes to cuddle but only on his terms and for a few minutes at a time. He'll climb halfway onto my lap and lean against me for a minute or too, then hop down. Even if we invite him on the bed he'll only stay for a few minutes. At the same time, he's never more than a few feet from me, laying at my feet or off to the side no matter where I am in the house. Go to the garage to putter around? he's there. Down in the basement working out? he's there. Out in the yard, you can bet he's there.

Bruzer on the other hand, is not the dog who wants to ride to the store with you, or go on long walks, go play in the snow, or even just go sit outside for a couple hours enjoying the day. But if your idea of companionship is taking a snooze in the Lazyboy, he's your man!

Daisy is still too young for a lot of things, but for the cuddle factor, she beats them all. She's easily the most affectionate dog we've ever had. I forsee laying on the den floor using her as a pillow to watch TV when she gets older. She loves to cuddle with the other dogs too. She has to be in the same room as you but not always right against you- if she has the choice of a nap on the soft couch or the floor at your feet, she's taking the couch So much for no dogs on the couch, that rule got broken pretty fast. Just not on the leather couch!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

The most loyal dog I had was a Chow. Most people don't think they are good companions, but then again, most people aren't experienced enough to be able to enjoy their pleasures.

I'd have to go with Pits and Chows overall; just my personal breed choices really, but they've never ever done me wrong.

My Polyvore