Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
I would DEFINETELY reccomend Canidae! We buy a 33 lb bag and it's $27. We feed our 60 lb lab about 2-2 and 1/2 cups a day depending on her activity. Plus they have a frequent buyer program where if you buy 12 bags you get the 13th bag for free. My dogs love the chicken and rice formula. The 33 lb bag will last us about a month feeding two dogs (well one adult dog and then a puppy who eats about the same as the adult dog).

Also maybe look into going to wal-mart they have a food called Natural Life and it is similar to Canidae and you feed the same amount as Canidae. A 20 lb bag costed me $20. Also if you have a Costco membership you could look into the Kirkland brand chicken meal and rice formula that's only like $17 for a 40 lb bag but you still see great results.
I would go with the Canidae as well I live in IL. and that's what i'm paying for a 33 pounder from Pet Supplies Plus in the NW burbs of Chicago, You can also email Canidae and have them send you a few free samples to try
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk666 View Post
I would go with the Canidae as well I live in IL. and that's what i'm paying for a 33 pounder from Pet Supplies Plus in the NW burbs of Chicago, You can also email Canidae and have them send you a few free samples to try
I LOVE Pet Supplies Plus! I could spend as much time in there as my husband does in a car show! My husband dreads the couple days a month we go there because it's basically a whole afternoon thing were I have to look down every aisle and play with all the new stuff !

Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Twin 2.0

I can pretty much guarantee you that anything Wal-Mart sells, ESPECIALLY as an in-store brand, is utter junk. They may have figured out how to reword the ingredients list to make it sound better, but that fact remains that it's still produced for pennies on the dollar. It's a crap food.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
migrant

If you're stuck with Wal-Mart food, I agree that Maxximum Nutrition is much better than Iams. If for some reason I was stuck buying from there I'd probably buy the Maxx over the Natural Life.

The New Maxximum Nutrition: Lamb, chicken meal, ground whole grain sorghum, brewers rice, ground barley, chicken fat, dried beet pulp, carrots, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, potassium chloride, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, salt, blueberry pomace, taurine, vitamins and minerals.

But... Canidae and Chicken Soup are great foods for good prices, so either of those would be a better choice.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you that anything Wal-Mart sells, ESPECIALLY as an in-store brand, is utter junk. They may have figured out how to reword the ingredients list to make it sound better, but that fact remains that it's still produced for pennies on the dollar. It's a crap food.
I fed the Natural Life food at wal-mart for awhile and it was fairly comparable to Canidae IMO. I would definetely feed Canidae before the Natural Life but if I had to go to Wal-mart and pick a food I would go with the Natural Life food.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Island dweller

If money is a big factor I'd get kirkland from Costco over any wal-mart brand. Iams is an over-priced, low quality food with a lot of junk in it. Not only that but they have a reputation for being cruel to animals. Most likely, the people who recommend it don't know a lot about food and just go with what they hear or see advertised.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
If money is a big factor I'd get kirkland from Costco over any wal-mart brand. Iams is an over-priced, low quality food with a lot of junk in it. Not only that but they have a reputation for being cruel to animals. Most likely, the people who recommend it don't know a lot about food and just go with what they hear or see advertised.
I know Kirkland isn't on line with Innova/EVO, Canidae, or TWO, but how big of a step up is it from Iams?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Pups View Post
I know Kirkland isn't on line with Innova/EVO, Canidae, or TWO, but how big of a step up is it from Iams?
A HUGE one!

Here are the kirland ingredients (thanks to Julie)

compared to Iams which we've seen before.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Thanks saje! We were feeding Iams (ick, I know) and I finally convinced my mom it was junk, and since money is a big issue with us we got some Kirkland. It makes me feel better that at least it's better than Iams, Pedigree, SD, etc.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Yes, Kirkland is MUCH better than IAMS and all of the other brands in that realm

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep