Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Fandogg Fandogg is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 96
Default

interesting, interesting... I don't need a breed that is EASY to train. I've trained 2 SHIH TZU's in AGILITY!! these dogs are the most stubborn cautious dogs ever. You can't bait them with food because they are so picky... try giving them steak and they will sniff it and walk away. I have to give them bottled water to drink!! (just kidding about the bottled water...) anyway I'm up for the challenge and I am going to read tons of books and gather loads of information before getting one. I will build a full agility course, buy some herding sheep for my back yard, get set up for competetive obedience and everything... i'm going to give this dog EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Fandogg Fandogg is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 96
Default .

Okay someone figure out the math.

there are 2744 aussies registered for agility...133 are masters in agility

there are 4118 border collies registered for agility...494 are masters in agility


i'm bad at math... which dog has the higher rate for becoming masters in agility?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Fandogg Fandogg is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 96
Default

plz someone figure it out!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-05-2005, 04:05 PM
RD's Avatar
RD RD is offline
Are you dead yet?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 15,463
Default

Fandogg...
What I don't think you're looking at is that agility will take up a very small part of your day. The dog will be with you the rest of the day. A BC is a fulltime partner, not just for agility. If you go to the bathroom, your Border Collie is NOT ONLY going to follow you in, but hand you the toilet paper and flush for you. (Just an example, my dog doesn't do that. ) Having a Border Collie goes beyond agility, it is a lifetime commitment. If you don't want that dog constantly at your side, watching over you 24/7, do not get a BC. If you want a dog that can go off and amuse itself for a good part of the day, do not get a BC. (You see, a Border Collie "Amusing itself" is usually at the expense of furniture, the yard, small animals or children.)

Think of what it would be like to LIVE with that dog constantly, instead of just doing agility for a TINY part of the day. You'd better love the dog you get, because if it turns out to have a physical problem that prevents it from competing, what are you gonna do? Turn into one of the low-life cowards that just dumps their dog off at the shelter because it wasn't perfect?

Make sure you want a dog for the right reasons....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 PM
oriondw oriondw is offline
user not active
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

I can tell you for sure its not CO
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg
no thats okay i'll take the one that will win and be easiest to train. that's what will make me happy. (companionship comes with all breeds dummy)
You owe an apology for that crack, Fandogg. I've stuck up for you when I've thought people were being too hard on you, but that was uncalled for and reflected badly on you.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM
gaddylovesdogs gaddylovesdogs is offline
no touchy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
Fandogg...
What I don't think you're looking at is that agility will take up a very small part of your day. The dog will be with you the rest of the day. A BC is a fulltime partner, not just for agility. If you go to the bathroom, your Border Collie is NOT ONLY going to follow you in, but hand you the toilet paper and flush for you. (Just an example, my dog doesn't do that. ) Having a Border Collie goes beyond agility, it is a lifetime commitment. If you don't want that dog constantly at your side, watching over you 24/7, do not get a BC. If you want a dog that can go off and amuse itself for a good part of the day, do not get a BC. (You see, a Border Collie "Amusing itself" is usually at the expense of furniture, the yard, small animals or children.)

Think of what it would be like to LIVE with that dog constantly, instead of just doing agility for a TINY part of the day. You'd better love the dog you get, because if it turns out to have a physical problem that prevents it from competing, what are you gonna do? Turn into one of the low-life cowards that just dumps their dog off at the shelter because it wasn't perfect?

Make sure you want a dog for the right reasons....
Exactly!! Well said, Grace. Say I'm sitting in the living room, reading a book. I can't get up and go outside without Tippy following me there and asking to come with me. My bedroom is near the bathroom, and if I get up to go to the bathroom, either Tippy will go and wait by the door, or she'll wait on her bed in my room. She is constantly following me. She may be napping one second, another she'll decide she wants attention and she'll come and nudge me.

A Border Collie needs to be by it's owner as much as possible. Tippy is with me almost 24/7.
__________________
No touchy.
BSL - Bull Sh!t Law
Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
Exactly!! Well said, Grace. Say I'm sitting in the living room, reading a book. I can't get up and go outside without Tippy following me there and asking to come with me. My bedroom is near the bathroom, and if I get up to go to the bathroom, either Tippy will go and wait by the door, or she'll wait on her bed in my room. She is constantly following me. She may be napping one second, another she'll decide she wants attention and she'll come and nudge me.

A Border Collie needs to be by it's owner as much as possible. Tippy is with me almost 24/7.
ROFLMAO! At least Tippy's a small dog! Try having two Filas following your every move and jostling each other for position to be the one closest . . .

Honestly, after these two - everything else is a vacation! I can guarantee you'll never see a Fila in competitive obedience trials!
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-06-2005, 04:47 PM
gaddylovesdogs gaddylovesdogs is offline
no touchy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
ROFLMAO! At least Tippy's a small dog! Try having two Filas following your every move and jostling each other for position to be the one closest . . .

Honestly, after these two - everything else is a vacation! I can guarantee you'll never see a Fila in competitive obedience trials!
LOL, Renee. Yep, Tippy's around 65 lbs. at the moment...big enough, but not huge (she thinks she is). I imagine having two Filas following you around the house must be pretty interesting, LOL!!
__________________
No touchy.
BSL - Bull Sh!t Law
Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Not only do they follow - they think they're cats! You should see them perching on a shelf that sits under one of the bedroom windows. They jump up on a trunk, then across a three foot span to the shelf, then sit and watch out the windows, twitching the tips of their tails.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site