Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Felurian

A lot of the perception of Borders not being terribly affectionate has a lot more to do with the owners than the nature of the breed. A good BC shouldn't be animal aggressive either - that would be real trouble in a herding dog! When you look for your dog, try to stick with working lines and stay away from conformation lines.

You might want to keep Australian Shepherds on the look-list too. They have a lot of the same qualities as the Border Collies and haven't been as popular - or overbred. They're very affectionate with their owners as well.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Default re

yeah but lets face it the aussie just cannot compare to the border collie
Old 05-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Felurian

Gotta say, I prefer the Aussies. Those muscular hindquarters give lots of power and cutting ability. If you think about it, cats - the hands-down winners at being quick and agile, are built on the same principle: the 'push' is in the back - hindquarters are larger and more muscular than the forequarters. I didn't put it together directly until I lived with the Filas. They hunt jaguar in their native habitat, and also work the wild cattle that are raised in Brazil. They've got to be supremely agile to do that, and agility is just something you don't expect in a dog that weighs over 100 pounds! But they're built like cats. They even have the same gait as a cat. And those hindquarters give them unbelievable power and thrust. I've thought about training Shiva for agility - but her idea of dealing with obstacles is to go straight through! Kharma's actually quicker and more agile than Shiva, which makes sense because she is from purely working lines, where Shiva is show dog on her father's side. No one would be able to beat Kharma because she'd just bully them into submission before they could make their runs. She's a real prima dona

You just don't see the Aussies as often as you do the BCs, and they do tend to be used for serious work more often than for play. One of my Aussie friends, Roscoe, was a rodeo clown dog. Not only did he do the intermission shows, he did real rodeo clown work, distracting the bulls when a rider was down.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Default .

http://www.usdaa.com/awards_usdaaSta...ype=usdaa_life

check that out...

Border Collies are just flat better at it.

anyone else have anything to offer into this b/c if you could persuade me that the aussie is better than the BC or just as good I'd appreciate that b/c i really do like the looks of the aussie better.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Wouldn't you be happy with just finding a great friend and then see what he/she would like to do ??? Pick a breed you like for the breed, and then go from there. Sorry, but you're starting to sound like a woman wanting a sperm donor for a perfect child .
Old 05-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Puppy Dog

no thats okay i'll take the one that will win and be easiest to train. that's what will make me happy. (companionship comes with all breeds dummy)
Old 05-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg
http://www.usdaa.com/awards_usdaaSta...ype=usdaa_life

check that out...

Border Collies are just flat better at it.

anyone else have anything to offer into this b/c if you could persuade me that the aussie is better than the BC or just as good I'd appreciate that b/c i really do like the looks of the aussie better.
What those stats arent giving you are the total numbers of BC and Ausie dogs enterred, or even registerred. Check the stats by breed, youll get allmost the same stats but there are allmost twice as many BCs registerred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 05-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

O.K. ,,,,,I'm a dummy now ....good luck to you and your poor dog.........I'm out of here !
Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Are you dead yet?

A dog that learns quickly does not equal a dog that is easy to train. If you want a dog that is *easy* to train I would look elsewhere, BCs are anything but easy.

Their pack mentality and communication is stronger than that of any other breed I've seen. They are impressionable, some young BCs learn how to herd correctly simply by watching an older dog at work. They are also VERY selective about who they choose as their handler. If you know your stuff and te dog knows you have all the answers, you have a dog that will devote itself to working for you. If you don't prove yourself worthy of that respect, you're going to have a dog that will not work to it's full potential.

In having one and talking to other BC owners, I've come to realize that they are really more like a species all their own. It's not like owning any other dog, it's a totally different experience. They're not content to be just pets, they are your partner..

I would suggest, before you decide on a BC, that you talk to as many Border Collie owners and breeders as possible. NO Border Collie book has been able to accurately describe the breed to me.

Aussies are definitely another option, don't rule them out. They are bred more for show than herding, they are not as dead-serious as BCs, they will play just for fun's sake. (An Aussie will fetch the ball because it's fun. A BC has to know WHY they are fetching this ball, and what good it will do him/his handler/the world. The same goes for agility.. You have to get it through to the BC that the objective is to run through as fast as they can, and they will DOMINATE. If they don't know that, it is pointless and a waste of time, and you don't have their full focus or determination. An Aussie would be easier to train for agility IMO.)
Old 05-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Jerk.

My boy is half Aussie but Rip"s points deffinently hit the nail on the head. Agility with my dog isnt the answer, this dog allready can pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin