Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
Thanks for the replies! I just don't understand why she would have trouble with one brand and not another. She was always really firm with the nature's menu. Her diet, besides the switch in raw patties, has not changed since we got her. I mean now we're switching her to canidae so she probably won't get anymore raw stuff. We'll see.
Maybe a certain ingredient doesn't agree with her that's in one anmd not the other ?
I was thinking exactly what doberkim said-- it could be the change itself making the dog have the runs. I certainly have a dog I have to change quite gradually or he'll get the runs (which I must say don't seem to bother him in the least but since I am the turd patrol and the bum washer I'd prefer to avoid)
I know most raw feeders are all about variety variety variety but that really doesn't work for all dogs. Some dogs just do better being fed mostly one balanced food (wether it's premade or wether you grind/prepare your own) and variety might be used best by adding a meal here and there or making SMALL changes of ONE ingredient-- especially with some of those premades with all sorts of ingredients in them. If I was you I'd go with a much simpler raw diet with your sensitive tummied dog.

I just about fell down when I read the label of Nature's variety lamb patties -- there are 4 or 5 different types of eggs and a zillion other things.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Maybe a certain ingredient doesn't agree with her that's in one anmd not the other ?
I was thinking exactly what doberkim said-- it could be the change itself making the dog have the runs. I certainly have a dog I have to change quite gradually or he'll get the runs (which I must say don't seem to bother him in the least but since I am the turd patrol and the bum washer I'd prefer to avoid)
I know most raw feeders are all about variety variety variety but that really doesn't work for all dogs. Some dogs just do better being fed mostly one balanced food (wether it's premade or wether you grind/prepare your own) and variety might be used best by adding a meal here and there or making SMALL changes of ONE ingredient-- especially with some of those premades with all sorts of ingredients in them. If I was you I'd go with a much simpler raw diet with your sensitive tummied dog.

I just about fell down when I read the label of Nature's variety lamb patties -- there are 4 or 5 different types of eggs and a zillion other things.
The woman we buy the nature's menu said she may not be able to handle one of the ingredients in the nature's variety raw as well. Regardless we have started switching her off the kibble and raw stuff all together (Nature's variety prices are OUTRAGEOUS). She's doing really well on the Canidae and we add stuff here and there (yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese). We also give her rec. bones to chew on once a week but she's afraid of them !