Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Dafuq?

All dogs bite. It just depends on the circumstances.

ETA: I read some of the other posts, and wanted to add something. I've been around the breed since my single digits. I've taken bites from APBT, a Dogo, a Rottweiler. I've never seen a dog clamp down with the intent to do damage. All of the dog-to-human bites I've seen were a single bite just like any other breed would do. A dog biting down on a human and engaging in an extended attack is rare.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
“We saw them hitting it with the leash and, like, beating the dog, hard,” said Joey Inacio, 15, who was walking home at the time. “They were hitting (the dog). It was just sitting there. It, like, put its head down a couple of times.”
I love how the news "fails" to mention that No wonder the dog bit him, If I were a dog so would I. Now they are going to PTS the dog for defending herself.

Sorry I have not replied, I've been at school. This reminds me of what I'm learning in English class. We are learning about biased and how the media puts facts in the news but chooses which to include and how to phrase it (the teacher used the example of the famous car race where I think the Russians won, they said the USA came in second to last, USA said they came in second, They left out the fact that there were only three cars in the race) So the dog bit while being brought home by his owners but the news fails to mention they were beating him. It makes sense (in a cruel way) since they said the dog had just ran away and they had caught her so they probably were "teaching" her not to run away again, like my dad used to do to Max (until I made him stop, and guess what the one time he ran away after I made dad stop was the last time he tried, plus I taught him the come and stay command) some people need beatings and to have animal ownership right taken away.

I guess I just mostly feel that there is never any dog attacks in the news (TV news I'm referring to) other than "Pit Bulls" and wanted to know whether the news chose to ignore those or they were not happening as much. And if they were not as frequent as pit attacks then why is it so. Thanks for all your replies, keep them coming!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

In other threads people have mentioned how there are . . . I think they called them "faux labradors" or "mock labradors" . . . They are purebred, but have been bred poorly by puppy mills or BYBs and do not have the proper labrador temperament. They're often hyperactive and snappish. They're often dog aggressive, human aggressive, or both, even when properly raised (no abuse, socialized, etc). They look like labs, but their temperament is completely wrong for a lab.

I think this is happening with pit bulls too. The people who originally created the breed, the dog fighters, had an excellent reason to discourage human aggression . . . They had to get excited, fighting dogs in and out of the ring without getting mauled. "Man-eaters die," etc. They selectively bred them to be extremely friendly towards people.

Today pit bulls are popular among people who idolize the "macho" ideal. Do you think those people are going to say, "Oh no, my dog is aggressive towards humans! I'd better not breed him because that's not what a pit bull should do!"? Ha ha, no way! They'll probably be proud of the dog and brag about how "badass" it is. Then they'll breed it and sell the puppies to other wannabe ganstas. The majority of pit bull breeders are BYBs, not reputable breeders. They are no longer breeding to discourage human aggressiveness and, I suspect, are purposely breeding FOR human aggressiveness in many cases.

Just because pit bulls were originally bred to be non-aggressive towards human does not mean their temperament is set in stone . . . I think BYBs are actively screwing up this breed.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Top Dog

Good posts Maxy & Boemy.

Maxy, you are absolutely right. The media is not actually there to put the facts on the table so to speak. They are there to make headlines, to gain viewers and/or readers, & to bring their bosses home a nice profit. It's all about money, not the truth.

And Boemy, you are exactly right. Back yard breeders have ruined these dogs. They either a) breed for a crappy temperament all in the name of "protection" or b) they are too busy breeding for color & head size that temperament is completely overlooked in the efforts to produce the biggest & baddest dog in the 'hood. Not to mention the fact that these dogs are so grossly out of standard that they are now confused with many many many different breeds & no one really knows what the dog's breed truly is.

I have sympathy for any & all innocent dog bite victim. No one deserves to have to go through the physical & emotional trauma that a dog attack brings (again I'm speaking of people who did nothing to warrant a bite). But what hurts me the most is that victims of other breed & mixed breed attacks don't get the attention their situation deserves thus these dogs get to slide. There is no demand to ban these other breeds & there even isn't a public backlash demanding enforcement of leash laws. These victims are literally hushed & sent away to mend themselves somewhere else.

I'm all for justice in terms of dog attacks. Regardless of breed. Bust most of all, I'm all for pushing the government to step up & take a stand against people who refuse to abide by leash laws whether it be their dog or cat. I'm all for these people having their pets confiscated & not given back & for these people to pay a very hefty fine. I'm all for owners of dogs that fatally attacked someone to be accountable in the court of law & be forced to do jail time. I'm all for it. But what I'm not for is for someone to claim they are "frightened" to go get their mail because I live a mile away & own APBTs thus giving the government to come in, take my dogs, & kill them.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me View Post
Maxy, are you talking about the attack that happened in Taunton Mass.? I'm pretty sure you are because of where you live *wink*. I had heard that the 10 and 12 year old boys were wrestling with the dog when the dog started biting because the boys were getting to rough and physical with him.
Alls I have to say to this incident is where is the parents? HERES some of the story
http://www.wbz.com/pages/270397.php?...ntentId=352323
Just found an update on that story.....

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/...ews/news03.txt

Quote:
Dog officer spares life of 'provoked' pit bull

By Donna Kulpa, Enterprise correspondent

TAUNTON — Angel, the small brown-haired pit bull that garnered fame by attacking two city residents after witnesses said she was provoked, is going to live.

Witnesses have come forward and said the 35-pound pit bull was beaten before it attacked a 10-year-old boy and a 65-year-old man last week, Animal Control Officer Manny Massa said Wednesday.

“I'm not going to euthanize the dog as three or four people whose names are being withheld at this point have stepped forward willing to sign statements that the dog was beaten,” Massa said.

The dog will be quarantined through Sunday at the Taunton Animal Shelter after biting Steven Sousa, 10, and Louis D'Addario, 65, on Indian Meadow Drive last Thursday.

Sousa said he was strolling alongside his friend, Aaron Jacinto, 12, of Taunton, who was walking the dog, when it turned on him.

Sousa received 14 stitches in his left forearm.

Neighbors told The Enterprise the two boys had been hitting the dog before the attack.

“We saw them hitting it with the leash and, like, beating the dog, hard,” said Joey Inacio, 15, who was walking home at the time last week. “They were hitting (the dog). It was just sitting there. It, like, put its head down a couple of times.”

D'Addario told The Enterprise he responded during the attack to help Sousa.

“I kicked the dog twice, and the dog looked at me like I was crazy, and it came after me,” D'Addario said last week.

He received a bite wound on his right forearm, but did not require stitches.

Both Sousa and his mother, Suzanne Fagundes of Taunton, denied that he hit the dog.

Massa recently obtained the statements by witnesses.

“We've had dogs that have mauled people (that have) been put down, but you have to go with all the facts and we didn't have all the facts” until now, said Massa.

Massa said charges are not being brought against anyone at this point.

When the attack happened, Marybeth and Joseph Jacinto of Taunton were looking after the dog for a friend, police said.

The dog's owner is Tiffany Galavotti of New Bedford, police said.

Massa said that hopefully the dog will go home to Galavotti once he obtains paperwork from her that states her landlord will allow her to have the dog and clearance from the New Bedford animal control officer.

Otherwise, “I'll have the owner sign off on the dog, and we will keep the dog here until we find her a home,” said Massa.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Awesome news DryCreek, but I don't think her chances on finding a home are very good. It'd be nice if the ACO that spared her life would adopt her, though.

My Polyvore
Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Thank, I'm glad to here she will be spared, I do hope she finds a home. She looks like a sweet dog, she is brindle. They showed her on the news sitting in the cage, If I were to get a pit bull it would look just like her.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

They do, the media just get a better reaction from "OMG pit bull attack". With all this attention they are bound to only report things about breeds which are seen as bad. This also isn't helped by the bad breeders who go out and buy pit bulls to look 'tough'.

Pit bulls before were excellent with humans, they had to be as they would be picked up by different humans the whole time during the fight.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Isn't it a bit ironic that these attacks only seemed to become a huge issue after dog fighting was outlawed? I don't condone the sport at all, but I respect the breed's history; I do just find it sad that we can view those things as bad, using common sense, but so many breeders (those who do not breed for fighting, not the ones who do) still breed these dogs with horrible temperaments and no testing.

It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

My Polyvore
Old 03-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

Historically speaking....

Breeders of fighting dogs had a vested interest in not allowing human aggressive dogs to be bred for obvious reasons. Who would want a dog to jump over the other dog only to attack the guy in the other corner?

Nowadays....

A lot of breeders are only in it for the money and they could care less how the dog acts as long as they get their cash. As with many other breeds, BYB's have destroyed the stability that these dogs were bred for originally.

There are still good breeders out there that work their dogs (weight pulling, agility etc...) and only allow dogs with excellent temperaments, health and conformation to be bred.

Unfortunately, as long as you can buy pups for 50 bucks out of the paper or the back of a van the trend of unstable animals will probably continue.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw