Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptashelterpettoday View Post
To be honest I dont see a difference between them and a golden retriever, sure they both are completly different dogs, but I dont see why they would be more likely to bite?
they are EXTREMELY different than a golden retriever. it's no excuse for human biting, though, and pit bulls should NEVER show human aggression. ever. it is utterly unacceptable, period.

but people who want to own this breed need to understand that they tend to be very drivey, very energetic, very prey-driven, dog-aggressive, and determined. golden retreivers are not, generally, any of those things. they're a much easier breed.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Adopt , I understand your point , but I could never compare any Pittie to a Golden . Completely different genes ....and Goldens are known for their soft mouth .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
lurking near the surface

the mistaken belief that all breeds are the same [and just look different] is what gets far too many dogs/people in trouble! not even all dogs of the same breed are alike!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

Here are some stories of other breeds that have bitten. I'm not asking you to read them all, I just want to show the OP that it's not just the "Pit Bull" that makes the news.

a cross between a corgi and a Jack Russell
http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/01...name_page.html

rottweilers
http://www.bridgwatermercury.co.uk/n...gs_warning.php

two boxers
http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html

chow chow
http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/ar...articleID=9662

police dog bites deputy
http://community.emeraldcoast.com/fo....db.php?a=7583

no breed mentioned
http://www.dowagiacnews.com/articles...ws/dnnews4.txt

Police dog bites good samaritan
http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/News/290448.html

mixed-breed hound
http://www1.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_new...379536,00.html

and also, an update on a "Pit Bull attack" Aparently the dog who bit the boys, was being beaten by them.....
http://enterprise.southofboston.com/...ews/news01.txt

All dogs can bite, and we will never know exactly why in some cases as people tend to lie to protect themselves from judgement. That is why it must be taken on a dog to dog basis, not by the breed.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
They don't have superhuman jaws and/or strength or anything like this comment is leading people to believe. They bite no harder than any of your other large dog or medium to large dogs. They are not the strongest breed out there.
I said the dogs are strong and big. They are strong and big. I didn't say they had superjaws or were the strongest breed in the world. Relax.

ed. after seeing Gonzo's post - oh, lord, here we go again.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
they are EXTREMELY different than a golden retriever. it's no excuse for human biting, though, and pit bulls should NEVER show human aggression. ever. it is utterly unacceptable, period.

but people who want to own this breed need to understand that they tend to be very drivey, very energetic, very prey-driven, dog-aggressive, and determined. golden retreivers are not, generally, any of those things. they're a much easier breed.
You are right. Same could be said for Dalmatians (what I own, so that is what I come back to). They are very different then golden retrievers, and during the 101 Dal craze, the same thing happened to them. They were bought by people who thought ""this dog is going to be just like Pongo in the movie". Then shock, they arent.

I would hope someone getting a dog, especially a responsible person, would do their homework first no matter what breeds they are looking into. No dog breed is for everyone. Anyone with half a brain should know how active, prey driven they are and they should be aware of the dog aggression as well. You are right, if people dont know that about them they are not doing anything good for the breed.

I took Cass's comment the wrong way. I see what she meant now. She just meant they had different personalities. Sorry!

ETA-I am sure there have been many people who have been bitten/mauled by a golden retriever. People who chain their GRs up and people who just dont pay attention to them. Not to mention that there are so many, they have to be high on the bite list. No I wouldnt compare the personality of a pit bull to the personality of a GR. I also wouldnt compare the personality of a Chi to a Cocker Spaniel either. But I dont think either is more likely to bite. I think it depends on the owners and how they are raised/trained. Not to mention the kind of people who want each of them. A lot of people want pits because they "look bad", most people want GR usually as family pets. It's sad that so many idiots are ruining the breed.

I actually find pits (or the one I had) more loyal than any dog I have met. Jet, my foster boy, you could see in his eyes would have laid down his life for me. He would have done anything to make me happy. Words cant express what a loyal and devoted dog he was or how much he loved me. He ended up going to a family in MA. He has a 7 year old boy who is his new best friend (and an 11 month old human sister) and two "parents" who absolutly adore him. Pits are meant to be family dogs.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1 View Post
I said the dogs are strong and big. They are strong and big. I didn't say they had superjaws or were the strongest breed in the world. Relax.

ed. after seeing Gonzo's post - oh, lord, here we go again.
But you did say that's why they are newsworthy.

Back when Dobermans were the big deal, they were what you saw in the news. Every large dog breed that has had problems with people breeding for aggression has played it's part in the limelight. That is one reason why Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds, etc, are sometimes blacklisted in BSL areas.

Like was said before (by DryCreek) there are a ton of breeds that resemble an APBT in build, but many are much thicker, much taller, much more kowely, etc. And it doesn't help that so many people still feel the need to breed these dogs and make as much off of them as they can. They are breeding 90-200 pound "Pit Bull Terriers" and making thousands off of every pup. And the problem is that many do not temperament test, and the general public is starting to believe that this is how these dogs should look.
And if you happen to have an APBT that is 36 pounds or around the lower end of the standard, nobody believes it's an APBT, or they believe it's gamebred, and assume it will bite too.

My Polyvore
Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
well I'm watching the news and they have a story about a APBT that bit a kid while he and the owner were walking him home after he ran away. The pitty bit the boy and a man who was getting him off by kicking (don't blame him). Then my brother says see pit bulls are evil (as I always tell my family they are good) of course I defend them, but the truth is I don't know why you always hear about Pit bulls attacking people and never any other breeds. At first I though maybe he was not even a pit but was a mix but he was clearly a APBT or Amstaff. So why do they bite? I know it is irresponsible owners and all that but I know all the other breeds have irresponsible owners too but why don't you hear about them nearly as much as with pits. It could be because a pit bull has so many breeds in the genre and because a lot of people who thenk pits are prone to bite get them because they actually want an aggressive dog and train them to be so, but why do you think they are always in the news and other breeds are not? Please don't turn this in to an argument or attack every body who apposes your view post, that was not my intension, but to be able to defend the breed after they bite I need to know why they always do it and other breeds don't.
Maxy, are you talking about the attack that happened in Taunton Mass.? I'm pretty sure you are because of where you live *wink*. I had heard that the 10 and 12 year old boys were wrestling with the dog when the dog started biting because the boys were getting to rough and physical with him.
Alls I have to say to this incident is where is the parents? HERES some of the story
http://www.wbz.com/pages/270397.php?...ntentId=352323
Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Well, I've had many stitches from wrestling with my animals at a time too.
I wish I had a way to know exactly what happened. If they were in fact wrestling with a dog (as many many little boys do) then I hope they understand that the breed has nothing to do with it.

My Polyvore
Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Here is what I found about that incident.

Quote:

Play turns into terror

By Maria Papadopoulos, Enterprise staff writer

TAUNTON — Authorities are investigating an attack by a pit bull on a 10-year-old boy and a 65-year-old man that witnesses say resulted from the boy and his friend hitting the dog.

“It's definitely under investigation,” Sgt. Matthew McCaffrey said Thursday.

The female brown pit bull cried as it remained quarantined at the Taunton Animal Shelter Thursday following the 3:30 p.m. attack on Indian Meadow Drive.

Steven Sousa, 10, of Taunton, said he was strolling alongside his friend, Aaron Jacinto, 12, of Taunton, who was walking the dog, when it turned on him.

“We were up on the hill trying to take it back to (Aaron's) house and it just started attacking me,” said Sousa, who received 14 stitches in his left forearm and was treated and released from Morton Hospital Thursday. “He just grabbed my arm and took me down.”

Nearby was Louis D'Addario, 65, of Indian Meadow Drive, who heard Sousa call for help.

The dog had Sousa by the pants, and D'Addario initally thought the boys were playing with the dog.

“You know how kids play,” he said. “Then the dog grabbed him by the leg, so I went over and he let go of the leg and he grabbed the kid by the arm.”

“I kicked the dog twice and the dog looked at me like I was crazy, and it came after me,” D'Addario, a business manager, said as he pointed to a bandage on his right forearm that covered a bite wound. He did not require stitches, he said.

Neighbors said the two boys had been hitting the dog before the attack.

“We saw them hitting it with the leash and, like, beating the dog, hard,” said Joey Inacio, 15, who was walking home at the time. “They were hitting (the dog). It was just sitting there. It, like, put its head down a couple of times.”

At the time, Inacio said he thought of calling animal control officials to report what he had seen.

But the boys “stopped and started playing with” the dog, so he did not call authorities, he said.

“They were hitting the dog with the leash. It just kind of got to the dog and it snapped,” said John Keyes, 15, of Taunton, who saw the incident from his front porch two houses over.

The name of the dog's owner could not be learned Thursday. Witnesses and police, who responded to the scene, said the Jacinto family was looking after the dog for a friend.

The Jacinto family could not be reached for comment Thursday.

As various media outlets descended on the neighborhood, neighbors said the dog would get loose at times, but it did not appear vicious.

Dominique Osswald said she patted the dog “a couple of times” while walking around the block.

“It's unbelievable,” Osswald, 13, said of the attack.

“I saw (the dog) once just tied up in the back yard, or on a chain,” said Laura Keyes, 45.

Both Sousa and his mother, Suzanne Fagundes of Taunton, denied that he hit the dog.

Fagundes said she was inside her home when her son ran in “screaming” that he had been bitten by a dog, and she rushed him to the hospital.

“It was an unfortunate incident,” Fagundes said. “We know these dogs that are in the neighborhood, they're all friendly and we know them.”

Others were concerned about the fate of the dog.

“I don't think the dog should get punished for it,” Inacio said. “I think the dog should get taken away and put somewhere in proper care.”

Each year, 800,000 Americans seek medical attention for dog bites, and half of the victims are children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those injured, 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department and about a dozen die.

Thursday's incident was the latest dog attack in the region.

Last May, a Brockton man was hospitalized for six days with more than 30 dog bites after a neighbor's pit bull mauled him. Also that month, a 10-year-old Brockton boy suffered large bites on both lower legs after he was attacked by two Rottweilers while on his way to school.

McCaffrey said anyone who abuses an animal would face a criminal charge.

“I can't tell you what the dog's fate is going to be,” McCaffrey said.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw