Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Blackwood dog food

Does anyone have any experience with this food? The ingredients do not sound that great, but supposedly the slow cooking they do is much better. Also, the dogs eat and need less due to absorbing more, and having less waste.
Thanks to anyone that can give any info on it!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

http://www.blackwoodpetfood.com/aboutus.htm

I have no experience with feeding this food, but I did look up the ingredients online. They really don't look that great and I don't like the fact that it contains menadione which can potentially cause problems.

I am not familiar with their "crock pot" style of cooking, but regardless of how a food is cooked, if it's not quality to begin with it doesn't matter.

There are tons of foods out there that look way better than this one and are very nutritious and you feed way less of them as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Would never feed it.

The ingredients aren't all that great, and they have menadione.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post

I have no experience with feeding this food, but I did look up the ingredients online. They really don't look that great and I don't like the fact that it contains menadione which can potentially cause problems.

I am not familiar with their "crock pot" style of cooking, but regardless of how a food is cooked, if it's not quality to begin with it doesn't matter.

There are tons of foods out there that look way better than this one and are very nutritious and you feed way less of them as well.
LOL I was going to say the same.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post

Everything I wanted to say but was too lazy to
Old 03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I'm not too impressed with the ingredients at all. I'm sure you could find much better, more nutritious food. What other brands have you considered?

Blackwood

Poultry Meal
Corn Meal
Chicken Fat
Dried Beet Pulp
Ground Rice
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Potato Product
Brewer's Dried Yeast
Menhaden Fish Meal
Flax Meal
Salt
Lecithin
Lysine
DL-Methionine
Dried Whey
Dried Cheese
Garlic
Choline Chlorine
Vitamins/Minerals
Yucca Schidigera
Citric Acid
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Harumph™©®

Ok let's look at the ingredients a little more closely for you. First ingredient "Poultry meal". Which poultry? Pigeons? Road kill? Usually when a company can't identify the creature the meal is made from, I would run. Second ingredient is corn meal. No other meat identified except for the mysterious "poultry". It gets worse. Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite is a chemical used in euthanization of animals. They call it a source of vitamin K activity to make you feel better I guess. It was banned by the FDA in humans for its toxic effects as a supplement, so if I wouldn't eat it safely, I wouldn't give it to my dog either. If the ingredients themselves aren't suspect enough, this feed is rather low in protein and fat.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Chihuahua Power!

No... I wouldn't touch this food with a ten foot pole, let alone feed it to my dogs. The ingredients are bad to begin with- it doesn't matter how they cook them. You can't turn poultry meal into prime rib with just a crockpot.

I do, however, love this quote from their webpage:

Quote:
Our most aggressive formula is the Blackwood 7000
Is this, like, an exercise machine or something? It really sounds top secret, and it gets better...

Quote:
The 7000's not for everybody as it is the only food that has a "caution" label.
Scary

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Harumph™©®

LOL Jessie, i was trying to be euphemistic. Thank God you had the guts to say what I was really thinking. LOL!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Puppy Dog

I agree with what you all said about it. Just wanted some honest opinions on it.
Thanks for the input!
Gerald