Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Default could I get a pitty

In the future I want more than one dog. They will be shelter/rescue dogs but i have researched breeds so that if i know what is in the mix I can have a basic idea of what the dog could be like. There are tons of pit bulls in shelters waiting to die and I would LOVE to have one. Plus I love their people temperament and think they are adorable. Since I want more than one dog, I had ruled them out as a possible candidate. I was thinking though, many of you have pits in multiple dog house holds and do just fine. So if I were to get a mature (over 3 years old) dog who has been temperament tested and proved good with dogs would it be safe to get one. What are the chances his temperament will change and he will be aggressive? is it too much of a risk? What conditions would they have to live under, like being separated when I was not home? How about with cats. if he has been tested with cats and proven good can I assume he is safe to get? I would not be getting this dog for at least 10 yrs. by the way. Also I'm assuming it would be safest if the Pitty was the last dog I got, do you think it matters whether the pit is the first or the last or somewhere in between?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

I've been working in rescue for years now, and one of the most important things I've learned is that 99% of the purebreeds (we're an all-breed rescue) do not have every single quality of their breed standard - it all depends on the dog.

The generic "Pit Bull" term typically refers to the American Pit Bull Terrier, or the American Staffordshire Terrier. The APBT is not recognized by the AKC, but it is by the UKC. The AmStaff, however, is recognized by the AKC.

Other breeds that are commonly grouped in the 'pit bull' category are the Argentine Dogo, the English Bull Terrier, the American Bulldog, and the Perro de Presa Canario. However, from your post, I'm assuming you're inquiring about an APBT or AmStaff.

They look and act (for the most part) very similar, although the following varies:
-APBT have a larger height and weight range then the AmStaff.
-All colors in an APBT are admissible, with the exception of white, unlike the AmStaff.
-AmStaffs are typically less tenacious, less dog-agressive, and less prey-oriented then the APBT, but will still typically show agression to animals it doesn't know.

Now, it all depends on how they're raised. We've had AmStaffs that we could have around all other dogs and not worry. We've had others that would go looking for a fight.

So, yes, I would definately have the dog that you're looking at extensively temperament, dog and cat tested. If you have other animals, perhaps getting a young puppy would be best, as you can then raise it around animals.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Dafuq?

An adult dog will have a set temperament, so there shouldn't be much risk of change. However, you'll want to get in certain habits either way. Such as not leaving the dogs unsupervised together while you're away from the house. Probably also exercise caution with triggers such as food bowls, toys, etc.

My recommendation would be to deal with a reputable rescue. That way, you can get a dog that has been screened for various types of aggression, lived in a foster home and learned some manners, etc. You can find a list of rescues at PBRC.net. Good luck!

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
overdogged

bad rap's multi-dog page.

i would not get a pit bull if you're not willing to separate dogs, supervise dogs at all times when they're together, and live with the possibility that you may one day have to have dogs separated 24/7.

i have two. most of the time they get along fabulously. they sleep together. they play together. they have scuffled. they are never together unsupervised. they live with five cats. they would both kill an outdoor cat if they could catch one.

personally i don't think it makes a ton of difference if the pit bull comes first or later, what matters most is the individual chemistries and personalities of the dogs involved.

i think getting a mature dog from a responsible, knowledgeable rescue will definitely be your best shot at making things work.

other things to consider: are you willing to deal with all the crap that gets thrown at pit bull owners, is there BSL in your area or nearby, and it can be hard to get renters and homeowner's insurance with a pit bull.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

It is tricky but it can be done. Amstaffs as said are usually less Dog Aggressive than APBT but there is a lot a variable in both strains. How they were raised (I believe) has more to do with their temperament. Sal is an Amstaff and is fine with all dogs (Just neutered at 6 years old). My Neighborhood has a rescue APBT who he adopted at 1.5 years and he is also great with other dogs. When he adopted "Elwood", Elwood came through the Wisconsin Humane society and came with lots of temperament tests and information about the former owner. (they gave him up because he was "Hyper"....heck if you walked him twice a day he becomes a lazy bum )

If you get a neutered Pitty from a quality rescue or shelter you should get a gem. I always tell my friends that if they want to adopt a great dog get a Pit Bull or a Rottie, because if they make it through the Humane Societies EXTRA test for those breeds they will get the best possible dog of any breed.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

I admire those of you who take the chance .... I love all dogs , but would never bring any into my home that COULD hurt me , my dogs, my family , visitors etc . I could never bring in a dog that I might have to re-home after I've fallen in love with it . I'm too chicken !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Chihuahua Mum

Quote:
I admire those of you who take the chance .... I love all dogs , but would never bring any into my home that COULD hurt me , my dogs, my family , visitors etc . I could never bring in a dog that I might have to re-home after I've fallen in love with it . I'm too chicken !
Honestly, that could include any dog of any breed.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
and Spy.

^Agree.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

^I agree as well. The most dangerous dog I ever owned was a Golden Retriever.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
but in bringing home a dog *period* you already have.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?