Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

ShowPug and Mach1girl have given excellent advice.

>You should definitely get a male to go with your female
>Neutering is a must
>Rescue is a good idea but I would recommend a puppy younger than you present dog. I would also recommend that you wait a little while so you don't have two puppies at the same time. When your female gets to be about 9 months or more, it would be a good time to start looking. Hopefully that will give your girl the chance to establish dominance.
>If you do go to a breeder....do your home work on all the health scanning (Hips, Elbows, Eyes, Deafness...etc)
>Stay away from PET STORES!!
>Also...I am bias here but I would have your husband check out American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers. They both have the wonderful personalities (and Muscles) that the AB has but they are smaller and maybe easier to handle.
>Now if you get a Amer. Bulldog or one of the breeds I mentioned be aware that these breeds have a tendency to be dog aggressive. It shouldn't be a problem for your dog because they will bond tightly to your dog as part of the family especially if they are both fixed and one is a male and one is a female. But you (or husband) will really have to know what he is doing when he is taking your bully around other dogs once you male is over 2 years old.

That said Sal and Athena (both American Staffordshire terriers) are great with other dogs but I have spent LOTS of time socializing my dogs.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Show Dog

Now that dog is SWEET! I will show the pic to the OLD MAN As that is what he is. Actually and I am making a funny Hank is better looking than my hubby of 27 years. I may just take Hank in and kick the hubby to the curb! Lol! No just kidding!

I think he'd be a good asset to the family and due to the fact he's already fixed I won't have any worries. I know I ask a lot of questions??? But will a rescue ship a dog to Canada? I guess I should contact them!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
CASSA

I have them at our Molosser shows allot and I show them UKC.
They are mainly WHITE but I have seen a dark tan one not brown or liver more tan.
They do have wide range of breed type.
They are very strong dogs competiing in top pulls in ukc.

Sadly TONS in Rescue and they are very good at rehoming to new homes.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinies12 View Post
Now that dog is SWEET! I will show the pic to the OLD MAN As that is what he is. Actually and I am making a funny Hank is better looking than my hubby of 27 years. I may just take Hank in and kick the hubby to the curb! Lol! No just kidding!

I think he'd be a good asset to the family and due to the fact he's already fixed I won't have any worries. I know I ask a lot of questions??? But will a rescue ship a dog to Canada? I guess I should contact them!
Rescues generally wont ship and the usually require you to pick the dog up. I used that dog as an example, but there are many, many more on www.petfinder.com! I just though he looked tough and I know your hubby likes that

I also want to add that regardless of rescue or puppy...do your research on this breed and tons of it!!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Show Dog

Wow I am so pleased that I found this forum. I have learned tones and that's wonderful. Now I know my husband would love a Stafford Shire or Pitt although it is banned in my area. What a shame too. A friend has one and she's just lovely.

Now I did contact a breeder and they said they have the Johnson bloodline. I will state I am getting confused with the differant type out there.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinies12 View Post
Wow I am so pleased that I found this forum. I have learned tones and that's wonderful. Now I know my husband would love a Stafford Shire or Pitt although it is banned in my area. What a shame too. A friend has one and she's just lovely.

Now I did contact a breeder and they said they have the Johnson bloodline. I will state I am getting confused with the differant type out there.
Make sure the people who enforce those bogus Breed Specific Laws in your area, know the difference between a Pit Bull and and a American Bull Dog. In some places people think they are the same thing
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Top Dog

And if they use excuses such as "almond eyes" to compare the bsl, you better not get any bull dog breed!

If it against the law, dont do it, and like he said, check on how local suthorities dtermine what breed you have. Many consider both the same.
Johnson is a good bloodline, still check OFA and health exams.

Too bad pits are banned, they are an easier breed IMO.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
Make sure the people who enforce those bogus Breed Specific Laws in your area, know the difference between a Pit Bull and and a American Bull Dog. In some places people think they are the same thing
No ****!!! I know Jerry has had a lot of problems with the township regarding her pit. She's complied with the rules left right and center but they keep on picking on her.

I am going to check into it forsure now and get what I need prior to purchasing the pup. I would hate for some stupid idiot cause issues just because they think they can!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
CASSA

I have testified in 2 cases on Ontario when the American Bulldogs were wrongly ID'd as pits.

We won one cases cause we had the back of of the abra but lost the other one since the dog had no papers.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Twin 2.0

Do a TON of reserach into this breed before you get one! They can be both dog and people aggressive, as well as very, very headstrong. Combine that with their muscles and you've got a potential problem on your hands.