Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Default Need opinions on my banner...

It was brought to my attention from a few Belgian breeders that one of my pictures in my banner might give the "wrong" message to people not knowing our breed. They are concerned that the photos of the two dogs playing, showing their teeth as Belgians do, will look like aggression to someone not knowing. So, I need your opinion.... is the play scene too "graphic"???

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Water Junkie

Hmmm.....Honestly, yes, probably to some one who knows NOTHING about Belgian's and you may they will get the "wrong" impression about your dogs.

But then again, it may turn off some people that are irresponsible owners from trying to buy from you

Make sense?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
swimming upstream

If I happened to see your banner, without any info--I would think "Wolf"---not sure if that is a negative or a positive--but that is what I see in the pics. And I actually think it might encourage people who want a wolf like dog--again, not sure that that is a positive or a negative!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Active Pup

Default scary teeth

Personally, I realize all dogs show their teeth from time to time. Even when their just playing. A friend of mine had a dog that would show it's teeth every time you would pet him even when he wanted to get affection from people. The dog just did it...

Most dogs I've seen playing however, hardly ever show their teeth. So most people will automatically think that the two dogs are being aggressive. Doesn't really bother me, especially when you show them without showing their teeth. If you had a banner with just the scene of them playing and nothing else, I would get the impression that you want people to know how vicious they can get...but that's not the case here.

Maybe just one showing it's teeth instead of both. Then it wouldn't imply that the two are fighting.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Hmmm well it doesn't bother me at all, Casey plays with her teeth like that all the time. However to people not in the know it may look aggressive.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

I created another one this morning.... teeth aren't completely absent, but they don't jump out at you as in the first one, and some people could completely miss them.

Input please? Banner 1 (above) or Banner 2 (below), or work some more.... LOL.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

I don't think so at all! I love that picture
I think anyone who might be given the wrong impression by that or is scared off by that isn't someone I'd want owning one of my dogs. Belgians are a lot of dog, not normally a good pick for a novice dog owner or for someone who hasn't got some skills. Bitey face play does not equal aggression
Old 02-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

I think it is a fabulous picture. It makes me smile just to look at it BUT... well... yes, it could give the wrong impression to those that don't know that dog's play kissy face with their teeth. OTOH, if they haven't done enough research to know that some dogs play this way, they may be better of with a tortoise. Perhaps you could keep the pic but put a fun tag line underneath. Belgians play rough... or something like that...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeboxer View Post
I think it is a fabulous picture. It makes me smile just to look at it BUT... well... yes, it could give the wrong impression to those that don't know that dog's play kissy face with their teeth. OTOH, if they haven't done enough research to know that some dogs play this way, they may be better of with a tortoise. Perhaps you could keep the pic but put a fun tag line underneath. Belgians play rough... or something like that...
^Not everyone knows that some dogs play this way--I don't think you have to send us all out to find a tortoise instead!
I think the banner should reflect what and who you are trying to inform--I'm not sure I would pursue a Belgian based on what I see there (banner #1). Then again--I don't know much about them. Should I go get my tortoise now?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Only one without teeth! LOL.

Actually though you are right. I think I have admitted before that I was far too protective with Skye as a pup and it is only after hanging round in dog forums and researching more that I am more comfortable with her showing her pearly whites.

There are some truly spectacular 'fang' pics on one of the GSD forums and since I have learned to let my dog be a dog, I suppose I could catch a pic or two of her playing rough. From that POV, then Spiritus picture should be left alone. It shows two fabulous looking dogs, having a great time. I bet a sound track to go with it would be way cool.