Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Felurian

Remind him . . . you know we're all with you and Shelby, Julie.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Love my pets

I just read about Shelby. I'm sending all the good vibes I can to Shelby that things turn around. I really hope all that Emma has suggested will help you.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

How long have you had Shelby? As I posted before, if it were up to my husband in the beginning we would've taken Houdini back to the rescue due to his snapping... I found out with time and what I learned on here there is always hope. LIke I said before, he has changed so much in the last 3 months you wouldn't know it was the same dog. Hang in there and give it some time and work what Emma has given you.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

I'm sending you my thoughts and wishes that things will work out. Try not to show your tension about this when you're around Shelby. That might dampen your efforts. Shelby will sense something is off and might be more nervous.

Let your husband know that we're all counting on him to have patience and let you work through this and that you'll keep your kids from getting hurt in the meantime. I'm sure in a while you'll know if things are coming around.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Big Dog

Julie, I'm thinking about you and Shelby. Know I'm there supporting you 100%. Keep working on it!

Another idea, can you wear out Shelby a little more than usual over the next few days? Take her on a longer walk first thing in the morning, or do you run, rollerblade, run her up and down some stairs??? May help to calm her down and relax with the family.

She may need something to do as well. Like pressed rawhides, bones, fetch, etc. These are mental activities and will tire her brain a little.

And last ... one more thought. My husband mentioned your husband might be a little jealous of Shelby getting so much attention. Remember to ask your husband about work, thank him for fixing the sink... you know him best. Save the good drama for Monday, when you are on the phone calling the training school. (hint hint)

:-) -Maui
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Puppy Dog

Yeah, everytime chong chong gets to hyper, i take him out jogging or something, or even play basketball with him. Something to worn him down so he has nothing to do but to sit or lie down.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:44 AM

I am coming in late here, but I love reading Emma's advice. So excellent. I just wanted to add this....in my opinion huskys need alot of exercise and running room. You have her in the kitchen for most of the day, maybe she has some pent up energy and boredom that isn't helping her mood any. I also just wanted to say that I think it's wonderful that you are trying to work with her to keep her, Julie. How's it all going?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Big Dog

I'm coming in late on this too! We had similar problems with Serene when we first got her, and NILIF made all the difference. It's hard when they have come from an abusive past, and you don't know exactly what happened to them. It sounds like Shelby is being aggressive when she gets a hold of a "human food" treasure. It's definately more of a concern with children (especially the 1 yr old, who doesn't understand what's going on). Be sure to include the children in training whenever possible, so Shelby learns that she must respect your children as well. Good luck. It sounds like Shelby has the potential to be a great dog, and it sounds like she found a person who has the love and patience to get her there! PS: Cheers to you for rescuing, and not giving up on her at the first sign of trouble. She's lucky to have you.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Well my husband has agreed to let her stay. I got mad at him because his friend came to take her (he gave her away without asking my permission) and I left really mad. Some A-hole ended up pulling out in front of me and I hit him with my car. I'm ok, a little sore and shaken up, but nothing serious. He saw how upset I got, and I explained to him that I didn't want her to go with anyone or back to the shelter because I would feel like I let her down. He understood and has given me 1 month to get her to improve, some, and if she does he will pay the money to get a trainer for her. He could have just listened to me from the beginning and it would have saved us my Suburban, a trip to the hospital, and it would have saved him from having to call off work. I do take Shelby out a lot. She goes out for two seperate walks (1hour 2 times a day). Plus the neighbor next door to us LOVES her and he will take her out too and go walking with her. On a brighter note my husband FINALLY understands my love for dogs and animals. He even found a puppy for him (I don't know how well three dogs will work in this household seeing all the problems that we have had with our two). Well I'm off to the doctor's now, I had to call off work today so I need to go and get a doctor's note. Thanks for all your support I will be sure to keep you posted on her progress, and ours as well.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Felurian

WOW, Julie! When I said 'a little drama' I didn't expect you to shoot for an Academy Award

Seriously, soooooo GLAD you're okay. Sorry about your Suburban. How's the other driver?

Some good hard play, like chasing a ball or dog frisbee would help to wear Shelby out. Huskies have such tremendous stamina - like a two year old.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian