Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

^^^^ agree with the newspaper ! Will take longer housebreaking too . My grand-dog Seger slept between his new Mom and Dad from day one with them . Woke up the first night and from then on , slept all night long . He starts puppy obedience next week and is completely housebroken ....proud of him and them !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Puppy Dog

k this is What i THINK i learned from that article is ..

1) if she tries to bite me, i have to grab her by her scruff of the neck and say NO in a low voice.. (im scared im gna hurt her lol)

2)Do not play tug of war with the puppy ( i play that with her all the time..lol so do i just leave here there and let her play with her toys on her own?)

3)"She'd roll them over, pin them down, growling at them if they didn't lie quietly. " (Does this really work?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
1) if she tries to bite me, i have to grab her by her scruff of the neck and say NO in a low voice.. (im scared im gna hurt her lol)
It's ok to chew your hand only if it doesn't hurt. Stick with the, "OWWW!," say it really loud and in a high-pitched voice so it startles her then immediately walk away for a few minutes. If you so much as look at her she'll notice it as she has better peripheral vision than you do. Don't look at her, just ignore her for 2-3 minutes. Walk away, no play, no anything.

Quote:
2)Do not play tug of war with the puppy ( i play that with her all the time..lol so do i just leave here there and let her play with her toys on her own?)
Tug of war is ok if you're the one to initiate it and if you're the one to end it. Always end it with you winning. You can lose individual games bouts, just don't end the game entirely with her winning. Use a tug-of-war toy that doesn't get used for any other game. You keep that toy and decide when it gets played with.

Quote:
3)"She'd roll them over, pin them down, growling at them if they didn't lie quietly. " (Does this really work?
This is called an, "alpha roll," and I don't know of anyone here who thinks it's ok to do. Mom doing it is one thing, you doing it is another. It's a very aggressive thing to do on your part and can harm the relationship. As I'm sure the trainers here will tell you, there are better ways that give better and faster results without stressing-out the dog.

Welcome to Chaz!
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Actually, sorry about that. I didn't read the whole article.

I just wanted you to get this out of that article:

"Biting and mouthing are normal behaviors for puppies. Dogs don't have hands so they investigate objects and their environment with their mouths. To a curious puppy, everything about this big world is brand new and exciting. He learns as he goes along. You can almost hear his thought processes as he discovers something he's never seen before: "Hmmm...what's this? [chomping on it] Something to eat? No? [tossing it around] Can I play with it? Maybe. Can I make it squeak?"

Playing is also a normal learning behavior for puppies, especially play-fighting. Play-fighting with littermates and other animals develops reflexes, coordination and physical skill. It also helps them develop social skills and teaches them how to interact positively within their canine society, their "pack." And it's great fun for them. Sometimes their fighting and "attacks" on us appear frighteningly fierce but to them, it's just a game. Much like a group of kids playing make-believe games and pretending to be grown-ups, puppies have their own games and pretend to be "grown-ups," too!

A dog's ability to control the force of his biting is called "bite inhibition." It's a critically important skill that every puppy needs to learn, the earlier the better. At first, they don't know their own strength nor how sharp their little teeth really are. Puppies learn to control the force of their biting from the reactions of their mothers and littermates during play and especially play-fighting."

Imitating a mother or another dog doesn't translate to dogs. At best, actions like scruffing and alpha rolling will scare your dog into submission. At worse, you will either hurt your dog or your dog will hurt you.

A better article for some techniques of teaching bite inibition:
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt
Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoboi View Post

Don't scruff your dog, just ignore.

Quote:
Tug of war is fine. Read the Shirley Chong article in my above post.

Quote:
Don't alpha roll.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:

I didn't read the article, but I see no reason for doing any of those things.

1. If she tries to bite you, say no or ow or something to that affect. Let her know that it hurt. And give her something that is appropriate for her to bite.. like a rubber toy or what not.

2. Many people do not play tug of war. We stopped and then we started again. As long as you are in control of the toy, I see no problem with it. For example, you always win the toy. When you say, Drop, your dog drops it, etc.. If I'm playing with my boys and they get too rough, I say drop and the toy then becomes in my possession and we dont play again until I am ready.

3. Im confused about this? Who rolls over who?

Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I see we were all typing/posting a the same time! Hope we were able to help .

Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Puppy Dog

wow thanks alot guys for the help. one thing about the ignoring tho.. if i ignore her am i suppose to get outta the room? i cant do that becuz i have alota wires in my rooms and i cant leave her in there alone.. and if i ignore her and just walk away to the other side of the room.. she just plays by herself! like she doesnt care lol
Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

*chuckles*

Sounds like a puppy!

You don't have to leave the room, but do ignore her.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Puppy Dog

just wanted to show u guys this little girl
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=49dehg4.jpg