Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Whens a good time to start training?

hello, i dont think ive introduced myself in the Puppy section yet!! but HI! me and my gf recently bought a 6 and a half week old Shihtzu.. im jw can i start teaching her NILF and Sit, stay commands yet? She likes to sleep ALOT! also she runs weird.. kinda like.. crooked lol its hard to explain. Can it be because shes so young?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
tessa_s212

You can start training right away!

The first thing that most all people teach is to "sit". You can do this by luring. Use the treat, place it infront of the dog's nose and lift up and back, which makes the dog's rear fall back. When the puppy's butt hits the floor, say yes and treat. At this point in time, don't say any command. Get the dog familiar with the behavior. Once the dog is quickly sitting when you begin to lure, you then add the command. When the butt hits the ground, say "Sit" and then treat and praise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZozdpmQMs

You can also teach your dog to down on command. Simply place the treat in front of the dog's nose again, and this time lure down and back, in between the dog's legs. The dog should begin to lean back and into a down. Again, yes/treat at first, and then soon add the command.

You can also teach this from a sit in the same exact way, except that the dog will instead lower its upper body instead of folding back into a down. I always teach my dogs both ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmwJWAAv6so

I also recommend that you start working on the recall command very early!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Puppy Dog

thanks alot..all that really helped.. now about the biting part. she likes to bite everything..how do you let her know NOT to bite people? i read about the IGNORING her thing, where you play with her, and when she bites you, you stop eveyrthing and walk away. I tried this but it doesnt seem to work LOL. everytime i walk away, she looks like she doesnt care and just starts playing by herself.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

It's important to remember that this is just a puppy and will have puppy behaviors for quite some time. And, your puppy is quite young to be without her mom and littermates, so the transitions may be a little more difficult.

I know that when our Bella clamped down on my fingers, I let out an , "owwwww" and that stopped her in her tracks. When your pup starts to chew or bite on things that are not okay, immediately redirect the behavior to something that is okay for her to chew on.. a rubber toy, chewie, etc..

It is never too early to start training. Just don't go overboard with it. your puppy needs to be a puppy. We got Bella on Tuesday and she is 12 weeks old, she's pretty comfortable with her name and is learning sit and come now. But these are not rigorous training sessions.

Good luck!

P.S. --- puppies do sleep... A LOT!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Puppy Dog

lol yeah she sleeps ALL day... but at NIGHT, she cries at times..but ignore her.. i let her out to pee or poo and after shes done.. i put her Right back in, but she STILL cries, so i know it cant be because she needs to pee or poo, am i doing the right thing?? i feel so bad
Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Are you crate training?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Puppy Dog

yea when i say take her out to pee or poo, i mean just right outside her crate. The crate is in my room lol i place newspaper in front of the crate. after she goes.. i put her back in
Old 02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Salty Sea Dog

sounds like your doign everythign just right, ignoring her when she cries at night is the best thing, you might want to get a little comfort heart (or a stuffed toy with a ticking clock behind) at 6 1/2 weeks shes VERY young (i dont suggest toy breeds going home before there 10 weeks, 8 weeks at the VERY youngest) shell be missing her littermates and feeling very lost and alone, be patient.
Dont give in to the crying (the first time you do shes won!)
as for traiing yes you can start trainign her now, just keep sessions short and fun and ALWAYS positive. at 6 1/2 weeks shes bound to sleep MOST the time and lose interes quickly!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I think you're doing everything right.

It's great that the crate is in your room also. That will help her a lot.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

You're going to have significant biting problems for quite a while. 6 and 1/2 weeks is far too young to remove a puppy from its litter mates. Puppies learn bite inhibition from their siblings--so you are going to have to start working immediately to help her through this. http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bite2.html

I'm glad to hear you are crate training. You are right to ignore the whining and you will soon see that her whining to go to the bathroom is quite different than her whine to get out of the crate. She left her family very early so she is probably a little bit homesick. How far is the crate from your bed? If you bring it closer, it might help her feel safe and secure.

Your going to confuse her with the newspapers. I understand that she is quite young, but you're at an advantage with house training. Right now, you're teaching her that it is OK for her to go to the bathroom in the house (but only on the newspaper). That's a tough distinction for such a young infant to make. If you want to have a dog that only goes to the bathroom outside, you're going to have to take her out in the middle of the night. It's tough, but it's the reality of raising a puppy!