Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM
#1 Animal lover :)

Question My Chihuahua has an inverted nipple????Can it be fixed??????

Hey Everyone
My pup pebbles is now 1 yrs of age and has an invirted nipple.Recently i noticed that its become inflamed and flat.I called the vet and he said i shouldnt worry coz its not severe and its not contagious.It could be from an elergic reaction,or a rash,etc but nothing serious.
Im still a little worried and i want to know if anyone has had a dog that has an invirted nipple or had one and if it got red and scabby.Im just curious and a little worried even though the vet told me not to worry.
If any one knows and could tell me then thankyou soo much,coz ive tried to researched it on the net and cant find any results.
Thanks again
Candace
Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Loves off-leash training!

My two year old chow has an inverted nipple. If I stretch the skin tight it pops out some and the nipple itself is kind of red (doesn't look normal). Because it's inverted it has a little pocket there that collects up debris. That pocket needs to be cleaned so that the area doesn't become irritated and inflamed.

The stuff that I clean out of this area is dark and has a consistency kind of like what comes out of a pimple or a sebaceous cyst. It also can have an odor to it. I use baby wipes and just clean it out periodically and it all seems fine.

I mentioned it to my vet as I hadn't ever had a dog with an inverted nipple and he said just to keep it clean. I won't worry about it unless I see the area get swollen or really irritated.

Hope this made you feel a bit better! Khana's is one of the nipples up near her front legs where they seem to be less developed.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Salty Sea Dog

keep it clean and if its looking scaley use a product like bag balm on the skin around it, same kind of upkeep for a adult human with an inverted nipple, keep it clean, keep it moisturized if it gets dry/cracked and all should be fine.
i would occasionally feel around the area for lumps and bumps that shouldt be there, but otherwise i wouldnt worry.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Your Mom

My friend "fixed" her own inverted nipple by piercing it.