Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM
and Spy.

My one and only fall:

I was riding a 15h QH. Nice enough guy, though a little lazy. Anyhow, we were jumping cavaletti (LOL, this was like 3 years ago and they seemed like big jumps back then) and he tripped over the jump. He fell, and LUCKILY I fell/was thrown out of the way. Otherwise, he would have landed on me!

Anyhow, I was off school for a week with a concussion.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Only one fall as of yet.

I was cantering round the school and lost both stirrups, somehow managed to jump of the saddle and onto the horses neck. Then started to move up the horses neck before he bucked me off. Landed directly on my knees then my face and split my lip. My right knee has never been the same since.

What did I learn, to keep my stupid heels down and in the stirrups.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
WEIMARANERS

I have never fallen off a horse.... and i've been riding for a while.... hmmm.... im sure i will one day though LOL

Thanks Brattina88
Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12weimgirl View Post
I have never fallen off a horse.... and i've been riding for a while.... hmmm.... im sure i will one day though LOL

I'm sure you will too but not in a bad way. It happens. I don't know how many times I came of as a kid and jumped right back on. I've got a scar under my hairline at the back from being kicked in the head too, stupid me, trying to catch Kipper when he was stuffing his face in the garden.

But now, older and with two kids, I feel more mortal. My mother and both kids were watching when I came my cropper (during cavelleti on a mare that was just returning to riding after her foal matured). That scared me more than anything. My daughter was in tears and my mum was convinced I'd broke my neck. (My son was like Ho hum, can I have another drink please )

The fall hurt and winded me but it didn't scare me until I saw the state of my family. I felt selfish and stupid to be risking my neck, then I got angry. What? You become a mother so you don't take risks anymore?

So, I went back and I take my daughter for lessons every week. But my mother doesn't ride any more and won't come and watch. She's afraid of seeing us fall. It's a shame because she was enjoying learning to ride at 67 years old and I hope I can convince her to try again. So, I learned that personally, I need to do what I need to do, my daughter has the heart of a lion because after seeing me come a cropper, she's right up there, even now riding the horse (on lead) that threw me, and that my mother will never get over the fact that I am her baby - even at my age.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Dog Show Addict

Your not a TRUE horse person/rider until you've fallen at least once lol
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Dog Show Addict

Another good advice -

If you fall - GET BACK ON!

NEVER EVER let a horse get away with something once because they just WONT forget that and continue on what they were doing before.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Mutts to you

Lost track of the times I've 'hugged' Mother Earth in all the years I've had horses... I have learned that I don't bounce anymore, and so, will clutch and claw leather, mane, necks, ears, etc. to avoid a splat.
My most 'creative' fall involved Rocket (aka Fuzzface) tripping over a tuft of grass, the aftermath was that I, riding bareback, wound up sitting on his ears. That shoved his head into the ground but left his rump in the air. At that point, I shoulda/coulda crawled off his head, let him get back up, and ignored Sis' laughter while searching for something to use as a mounting block. But did I? Nooooooooo...
Brilliant person that I was, I thought I'd just scoot back up his neck and arrive where I started. As soon as I shifted my weight a fraction backwards, Rocket heaved himself to his feet and stretched his neck as far up as he could, with me perched precariously behind his ears - for all of two seconds. Sis later commented (after she stopped laughing) that I could have fallen from a foot off the ground, but instead fell five feet (and scared poor Rocket to boot). Morale of the story? Take the low road, it hurts less!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I fell off once.
I learned to double check the tightness of the saddle. Doh!

My Polyvore
Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post
Your not a TRUE horse person/rider until you've fallen at least once lol
No yourn not a true horse person till you fell on a paddock fence or barrel LOL. done that a few times.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

After the first time I learned to jump out of the way All that horse coming down on you is scary stuff!

The only other time I wasn't able to kinda jump off to the side I had been riding my boy bareback in the round pen and decided to go off down one of the trails but I didn't feel like redoing his bareback pad which is always hard to get straight so I told a friend to just walk him through the gate since he kinda bolts though them if no one is holding him-but if he feels you holding he's fine. So I lean over his shoulder to fit under the bar-she lets go,he jumps,I fall over his shoulder land on my neck and then he steps on me. then as I'm seeing waaay more than double my frineds sat and looked at me stupid while I had to go run down my horse who was spooking cuz the bareback pad was slipping off. Worst pain ever!

So my big lesson there was don't trust the low IQ friend who also has no horse experience!

I don't know how many times I've actually gone off-everyone at the barn used to use me to throw on the horses no one had ridden all winter or ones they had jsut got in. Apparently my jump off was a great skill not many people could master

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber