Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm PAWMAZING!

Exclamation Help! I don't know what to do!

Okay, so Maya had her ears cropped yesterday, she came home today. Everything with her ears is fine, but her behavior is different!

Like before her surgery she was hyper, but knew her limits as far as chewing on people. now, this evening I got down on the floor to play with her and the first thing she did was run up to me and jump on me putting my whole arm in her mouth! I told her no, and removed me arm from her mouth (she wasnt biting down on me) and got her chew toy for her, she didnt want it, she wanted to chew on my arm! So I got up and sat in a chair and played tug with her for a few minutes and then let her chew on her toy on her own. She did that for a while and then wanted to chew on me again. Frustrated I took her out to try and potty (she wouldnt) so I brought her in and put her in the Kennel.

Another thing is when we are outside she runs around like a chicken with her head cut off! Of course she is on the leash, but she has never run around so frantically before.

Is this something to be concerned about? My dad says that she is just stressed out becuase of the surgery and she should be better in a few days. What do you guys think?

Did you know that it is a sin, Immorality lies within- September

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Twin 2.0

I agree, it's probably stress. She's fairly old to have a crop done and it's bound to affect her in a different way than if she were younger. Also, has she ever yet been away from you for an extended period of time in a strange place, i.e. boarding kennel or the like?

Then again, maybe she's just trying to show off, like some people do after getting a new drastic haircut. I would just keep reinforcing the previous rules and stuff to let her know that nothing on your end has changed and you are still expecting her to be the good dog she was before.

How old is she again? It might also just be coinciding with a new puppy stage.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm PAWMAZING!

She is a little over 12 weeks and no she hadnt been away from us for anything (except when she is in her Kennel at night and when we just can't keep an eye on her"

I am almost afraid to touch her for fear of hurting her ears. I just hope I can make it through untill her ears are healed and arent so sensative.

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Twin 2.0

12 weeks is the start of "The Brat Stage". She is going to start sorely testing her limits on stuff, developing independence, etc. She will be a brat. Just train through it, keep doing everything else the same. I can't comment much on her ears, since I've never had a cropped dog, but from the stories I hear on here, it's going to take more than just brushing up against her to hurt her ears. I would still touch her ears lightly so she knows that she still has to have manners for that part of her body, otherwise re-posting and cleaning is going to a pain in the rear.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

She'll be fine. Don't worry. She'll probably be a little sore for a few days, then they'll itch until the scabs come off.....about 10 days. Then she'll feel fine.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm PAWMAZING!

Thanks Doberluv

another question, at her age has she gained control of her bowels better becuase before it seemed as though right after she ate she would poop and pooty (wo took her out as soon as she finished eating)

Now it has been 4 hours since she has eaten, she has been outside 3 times since she ate and she hasnt pooped. we go to her potty spot, she will potty and I wait about five minutes, if she hasnt pooped we walk around the yard for about 5 minutes and then spend another 5 minutes at her potty spot waiting and she wont poop. I want her to poop so that I can stop worrying about it.

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Top Dog

my kitten got weird after he got neutered, started attacking imaginary things, would collapse on the floor and roll around for 3 minutes. I think it was the pain meds they gave him, he seemed tired but could not sleep, they said on the phone that they were gonna give him some really good pain medicine so I bet that was what was up with my cat, might of been what was going on with your pup.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm PAWMAZING!

We go see the vet today at about 4 so I am going to tell him whats been going on then.
(btw) she still hasnt pooped after she ate supper last night.
She has pottied a few times, but still no poop.

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

There's not much to do about the pooping. lol. Only her own digestion can contol that. Are her stools normal consistancy when she does go?

Quote:
Another thing is when we are outside she runs around like a chicken with her head cut off! Of course she is on the leash, but she has never run around so frantically before.
Sorry, I never responded to that. It sounds like she's just flat out glad to be home? I don't know....but they go through stages anyhow, so it may have nothing to do with her cropping or time in the vet's office. I wouldn't worry about it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Missed your last post. Maybe she's constipated? Give her a spoon of yogurt. I'm sure it will all "come out in the end." Pardon the pun. Good luck at the vet's. What are you feeding her, btw?

Thomas Jefferson