Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Default 6 months and pregnant

I was on another forum and there was a person who has a dog who she believes is pregnant. The dog was originally her brother's but he was beating her so she took the pup from him. Now the dogs belly is huge and and her teets are also so she is assuming she will give birth soon and she is only six months old! She has spoken to the vet a couple of times and has a appointment scheduled for Friday. She is afraid she will have the pups before the appointment though. The pup is a husky or husky mix. She needs any advice you can give her, I have never has a dog give birth so I can not be much help to her. She talked to the vet about spaying now but the vet says she is too far along. she will get the mother fixed after the pups are weaned and all the puppies will also be fixed before they go into their new homes. If she can not find homes for all of them then she will keep them. So any advice would be appreciated. The dog has started nesting behavior. The owner is hoping that it is a false pregnancy but is not sure if it is and would like to be prepared if it is not. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Yum...

Have her car ready, have some towels ready, (just in case mom needs help drying her pups, if there are some) umm, have the vet number ready, um, have a comfortable place for whelping. This is all I know. But, there will be more. When more experienced people, that breed their dogs come one, I wish her luck!

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

I hope for all involved it's a false pregnancy . If real , she should feel the pups moving at this time . Go to the stickies here for more advice .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

she held the pup down and felt the puppies moving inside. She is nesting, whining and has stopped eating, I'm thinking within 24 hours she'll have pups, how about you guys?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like it .... I hope she's ready !!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Water Junkie

Oh wow! I am hoping for the best for mom and pups

Let us know what happens!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Top Dog

hope the poor girl gets through this ok, she is still only a baby herself, she may need a LOT of assistance re feeding etc so have some special puppy formula to hand just in case. poor girl. any updates?

Mo
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

she has not got back to me yet. How many pups do you think she can expect from a purebred husky puppy? she says that she has done research that shows they have 4-6, but being so young do you think she will have that many. me, I'm praying for two but I doubt she'll have that few.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

and also what should she have in the birthing kit (and please tell me what every item is for unless it's really obvious, like a rectal thermometer) oh and what is the normal temp. for a dog and will the temp. drop before she gives birth or does it rise (sorry I know very little about birthing). thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Check out the stickies .... there's so much that should have been done earlier .........too bad all around . I wish that poor , young mommy the best ! so sad !