Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Illustrator CS2

Just wondering, how much is the Illustrator, just on its own?
I know the whole deal is very expensive, and I'm really not ready to spend that much, especially when I really do not need Photoshop CS2 (I have Paint Shop Pro 9 that works just as well).

For my computer drawing, though, I really would love to have Illustrator. I work on it in a graphics course, and really enjoy it. But just a few hours a day working with it, and not even being able to print it our or send it anywhere hurts my portfolio, and I'd love to be able to work on it at home.

I've tried getting a free trial, but for some reason my computer is telling me I have a missing file associated with it (which I don't understand, because it's a file that it is supposedly trying to install, so why would it be on my computer?!).

Anywho, here is an example of (just about the best) work I am able to do in paint shop pro 9, and when I get my work from my class, I'll post it to compare how crappy this is to Illustrator!

This is meant to be a kind of neon interpretation of an American Pit Bull Terrier. It started as a simple outline but I wanted to add in body detail, then just reversed the colours for a kind of neon-ish glow look.

My Polyvore
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

pretty darn impressive. You should try embossing and neon and ohhhhh my there are so many in adobe photoshop I messed with a drawing my son did and was suprised at how well it came out.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I was playing with Illustrator for 90 minutes straight today, LOL.
Everyone was so mad, and ended up using bitmaps because I wouldn't do their drawings for them.

I really gotta get that one up here.
I'm working on a Chow right now, but they are proving to be very hard to do graphically. Those fozzy clothes they wear are not easy to draw with anything I have available!

My Polyvore
Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

By the way, I didn't use Photoshop once today, and haven't since I've been using Illustrator (except to do a background erase on a picture for a poster, later realizing I didn't need it). Is it best to accompany Illustrator with Photoshop?

My Polyvore
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I also uploaded a new avatar of a drawing I did with the same program of a Chow Chow (Jr HCh. Fanta-Fénye Oscar).

Figured I may as well do the breed I am looking to purchase soon!

My Polyvore
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm PAWMAZING!

OMG I absolutly LOVE Photoshop CS2! I tried Illustrator once to do a letter-head for a company (got paid big bucks for it too) BUt I got confused with Illustrator with the tools becuse they arent in the same locations as in Photoshop. plus I have Photoshop CS2 at home (thanks in part to my profits from my letterhead)

I am not sure how much illustrator would cost on it's own. where did you try and download the free trial from? I can try and do a search for you.

Did you know that it is a sin, Immorality lies within- September

I am a "Female Dog"
Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

That is very cool! Love the form of the body.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Mutts to you

Hmmmm, all I'm getting is the outline... no effects.

You might contact the nearest Apple store, they have a program where they sell applications (and system updates) at pretty good discounts for students/teachers.

Illustrator is crossing more and more into Photoshop territory with their effects, but in my job, I've found a lot of those effects aren't supported by commercial output devices (digital presses, etc.) and I wind up taking the file into Photoshop to resave it as a tif that we can print...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Maya, I just attempted to download a copy, and it let me have a trial on photoshop. Couldn't get it on Illustrator though.

Snark, it should only be an outline. There aren't really any nifty effects with it, I was aiming for simple since it was the first time I'd tried something like this with my current program.
I'll have to run to the apple store they just opened up here (very sleek looking place) and check with them.

I did manage to finish my poster in Illustrator today, but couldn't figure out how to save it onto a disc to upload to my computer. I'm going to work on that one tomorrow when I have the extra time, but I was pretty upset I couldn't get the project home today.

My Polyvore