Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Dog Show Addict

Good analogy DustyMonster!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 03-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If you have to shave a dog to get rid of mats, that's just what you have to do. However, shaving a dog because it's summer is not the same thing.

ahha but it is the same thing, just a different reasoning. Shaving a matted dog would cause just as much damage to it's fur as shaving a dog for "summer" reasons.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Active Pup

I have 2 Shitzu's and I am a groomer one of mine I shave with a 4 blade which gives them like a puppy cut these dogs are normally shaved and I live in the UK
Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Active Pup

Collies, Retreivers etc should have their coats brushed out if they have matts they should go to a groomer as a groomer after shampooing will blast the dogs fur before and after this loosens dead fur and dirt then they can be brushed out with the dryer on them the whole time. I myself as a groomer use something called a Coat King which has a row of blades and this will get the rest of the dead hair out. Once this has been done then you can maintain your dog, you should always use a Slicker Brush on your dog to groom it this is about the only effective brush to use on all breeds
Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Active Pup

I have always heard that certain breeds should not be shaved bald, unless and accident or some health related reason. I would think a vet should be involved in this decision
Old 04-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh lord Nemo must be in a puppy-cut I can't take care of his hair when it's long, I mean it looks beautiful, but I can't do it.It takes FOREVER to blow dry ..I love the face long and the body short, it's so much easier..
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
BusterLove

it depends nthe coat of the dog. we had a maltese mox that we kept clipped most of the time because the climate was so hot it wouldn't do her any god to keep her fur on. once it got too long she became lathargic and slow and not energetic. but clipped off she was full of beans!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm All Ears

I've always heard it's not a good idea to shave a double coated breed or the reasons SummerRiot and everyone else has said. I would NOT shave a sheltie or a collie or a breed like that.

I wouldn't shave my paps either even though they are single coated. They'd just look weird.

Also, sheltie hair never grows back normally when you shave them it seems. Trey had parts of his butt shaved for a tumor removal two years ago and you can STILL see where it was removed (look below on his back leg). The texture and the color is off.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
BusterLove

i saw poms shaved the other day. very cute but i wondered if it was the right thing to do? are they double coated?

Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Rebel With Cause

The two Shih-tzus are kept clipped down short. They are house types who would never do well out doors all the time. I call them my pansy dogs lol. They do require more coat attention. They are actually ( unless showing or an only dog) much easier to care for clipped and it is better for them in their eye area.
ACDs have a double coat and really blow coat ( EVERYWHERE) they require brushing and washing the loose hair from them. I brush the ACD kids daily and am amazed how much loose hair they get over night. They seem to do just fine in the summer and winter. Being that our temps here reach 123 degrees in the middle of the day and they still go in and out all day I must assume they are keeping cool.