Shaving dogs

Vivien

If you have to shave a dog to get rid of mats, that's just what you have to do. However, shaving a dog because it's summer is not the same thing.

ahha but it is the same thing, just a different reasoning. Shaving a matted dog would cause just as much damage to it's fur as shaving a dog for "summer" reasons.

Tracey0073

I have 2 Shitzu's and I am a groomer one of mine I shave with a 4 blade which gives them like a puppy cut these dogs are normally shaved and I live in the UK

Tracey0073

Collies, Retreivers etc should have their coats brushed out if they have matts they should go to a groomer as a groomer after shampooing will blast the dogs fur before and after this loosens dead fur and dirt then they can be brushed out with the dryer on them the whole time. I myself as a groomer use something called a Coat King which has a row of blades and this will get the rest of the dead hair out. Once this has been done then you can maintain your dog, you should always use a Slicker Brush on your dog to groom it this is about the only effective brush to use on all breeds

I have always heard that certain breeds should not be shaved bald, unless and accident or some health related reason. I would think a vet should be involved in this decision

NemoGirl

Oh lord Nemo must be in a puppy-cut:yikes: I can't take care of his hair when it's long, I mean it looks beautiful, but I can't do it.It takes FOREVER to blow dry:( ..I love the face long and the body short, it's so much easier..
Andrea:D

mrose_s

BusterLove
it depends nthe coat of the dog. we had a maltese mox that we kept clipped most of the time because the climate was so hot it wouldn't do her any god to keep her fur on. once it got too long she became lathargic and slow and not energetic. but clipped off she was full of beans!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've always heard it's not a good idea to shave a double coated breed or the reasons SummerRiot and everyone else has said. I would NOT shave a sheltie or a collie or a breed like that.

I wouldn't shave my paps either even though they are single coated. They'd just look weird.

Also, sheltie hair never grows back normally when you shave them it seems. Trey had parts of his butt shaved for a tumor removal two years ago and you can STILL see where it was removed (look below on his back leg). The texture and the color is off.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
The two Shih-tzus are kept clipped down short. They are house types who would never do well out doors all the time. I call them my pansy dogs lol. They do require more coat attention. They are actually ( unless showing or an only dog) much easier to care for clipped and it is better for them in their eye area.
ACDs have a double coat and really blow coat ( EVERYWHERE) they require brushing and washing the loose hair from them. I brush the ACD kids daily and am amazed how much loose hair they get over night. They seem to do just fine in the summer and winter. Being that our temps here reach 123 degrees in the middle of the day and they still go in and out all day I must assume they are keeping cool.

Rosefern

I don't shave either of my dogs (both are long-haired), except I did shave Flicka when I got her, since she was soooooo matted.

both go in to the groomer once a month for the full spa treatment (nails, bathed, brushed, fur evened out). I have them both clipped short about four times a year - not fully, just about an inch shorter then normal grooming.

-Rosefern

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I understand the part about damage to the double coat. That is definately something to avoid. But I do not understand the reason "shaving makes your dog hotter". How do we know this? Seriously, I'm not trying to be smart-alecky. Has there been testing of some kind on the subject?

I personally can't follow the logic. If hair is such a protector against heat, why are desert animals short-haired? And think of the dog breeds that originate in hot climates. The only long-coated desert breed I know of is the afghan hound--and it has a single coat, which does not have the same insulating capabilities of a double coat.

I've seen dogs with double coats clipped before, and they look so much more comfortable. They become more playful, pant less and are eager to be up and around. I agree with keeping some dogs out of direct sun to avoid sunburn, but I think that it definately helps the dog feel cooler.

Saintgirl

The logic behing double coats is that they isulate the dog against extreme temperatures. The double coat acts to keep heat in when it is cold and heat out when it is warm. Just like a house- insulation keeps your house warm in the winter, and if you keep your blinds and curtains drawn in the summer, your house stays cooler than it is outside.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
I understand the part about damage to the double coat. That is definately something to avoid. But I do not understand the reason "shaving makes your dog hotter". How do we know this? Seriously, I'm not trying to be smart-alecky. Has there been testing of some kind on the subject?

I personally can't follow the logic. If hair is such a protector against heat, why are desert animals short-haired? And think of the dog breeds that originate in hot climates. The only long-coated desert breed I know of is the afghan hound--and it has a single coat, which does not have the same insulating capabilities of a double coat.

I've seen dogs with double coats clipped before, and they look so much more comfortable. They become more playful, pant less and are eager to be up and around. I agree with keeping some dogs out of direct sun to avoid sunburn, but I think that it definately helps the dog feel cooler.
Well see the cool thing has never been proven to me either. I do know that my ACDs get wet in summer and take a lot longer to dry out then the clipped ****-Tzus and therefore they stay cooler. I have seen double coated dogs IE Huskys here shaved and I have never noticed their coats bad or thinner in winter. But I have never really paid alot of attention to it either to be honest.
The only thing I was ever told by groomers is to never " skin " them meaning totally shave due to sunburn. Here it is highly recommended that you leave the hair 1/2 to 1 inch in length.

angelzeus

groomers do not advise that a dog that is a breed like a sheltie to be shaved it can be done just make sure that it is not to close and that your dog does not have any skin allergies after it is done

Pekingesemommy

proud peke mom
Sage,

Shaving a double coated breeds coat ruins it because you ruin the texture of the coat, the condition of the coat and the ends of the coat as well. keep in mind that if you trim an end of the dogs hair, it will have a blunt cut to it, not like the usual ends of it.

I am not a groomer by trade but i groom my peke. and well he is doubled coated and could of been a pretty show dog. I have to say i do not agree with you sage on your comment. i have had my dog for almost 2 yrs now and i shave him once a year. first time was due to allergies i didn't know he had. this year cause he seemed better when i did shave him. His coat grew in wonderfully and didn't have any problems coming back like a peke coat. I had breeders saying wow when they saw photo's. I just don't see how its like you say.

that is my opinion and thats all it is

Beverly

Poppy

There is always the chance of a double coated dog once shaved possibly not growing back in properly. This is seen more often in dogs that may have underlying health problems. The reason being is the undercoat will of course grow quicker than the gaurd hairs. I've also seen some show dogs (Golden's etc.) that after scissored for show grow out funny in the scissored areas.

I've talked to a few groomers who have been grooming for over 20 years. Their opinions have changed drastically on this topic. They now have no qualms with shaving a double coated breed. They normally will fore warn an owner that the coat "may" not grow back in properly. Sometimes they will not grow back in properly the first year, but may grow back in properly the next year. Most have changed their opinions about the coat keeping the dog cool etc as from experience from many years of grooming they have learned that this is for the most part false.

It all comes down to the individual dog, the owner and if they are having a hard time keeping up on the grooming. Shaving a double coated breed is much more humane than allowing a double coated dog to develop mats, get feces stuck in their pants...and develop maggots etc. A matted double coated dog, or a double coated dog that still carries the under coat in the summer is going to be much hotter than a shaved dog and the health issues higher.

If you would like to talk to some experienced groomers who know what they are talking about you can go to Groomers BBS. Most of these groomers have been in the business of grooming & showing for many years and have seen it all. They will be able to give you a better response than what I have given you.

http://www.groomers.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?93/93

Last edited:

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
in the question about dogs i hot weather being insulated, has anyone ever touched a camel in person? they are desert dwelling animals who LOOK short coated, but upin touching them they have a very dense coat, the hair is light but coarse with an undercoat, this keeps them insulated from the heat during the day and extreem cold at night... same deal with a double coated breed.

if you let the coat accumumulate dead hair then yes it will not insulate properly, but if kept in peak condition, reularly brushed out and healthy, the cat will infact help keep the dogs core temperater MORE stable during temperature flutuations.

the analogy given is 100% correct.

a well kept coat of any lenght would be like wearing a cotton, it provides some protetching form the elements while still breathing, let it matt and accumulate dead hairand its insulating properties "malfunction" as it doesnt "breath" like it should, shave it down its like someone running round naked with no sunscreen on whos not used to the sun (ie someone like me, youll BURN)

Again this isnt even touching the hair regrowth issue which i dont knwo nearly enough to comment on...

i have seen sheps and chows shaved down and YES they look happier, but in all honestly the ones that have been shaved down and now look happier are also ones that didnt have neer enough proper coat upkeep, drastic shedding with no brushing and matts, so yes these dogs are going to feel better shaved becuase their coat was not taken care of properly.

in the case of matts, its not a matter of go ahead its ok then cause it wont effect it. its a matter of shaving and potentially damaging the coat is MUCH safer in many cases than trying to hand pick the tangles out, and while not the ideal course of action in terms of overall coat afterwards, its better for the dog in terms of being healthy, safe and comfortable, matts are painfull!

in terms of single coated pet breeds, i honestly think most look much better when their natural coat is kept in top condition and trimmed to how it should be, but most people arnt willing to put in that kind of coat upkeep on their dogs...

dilly

We shave our sheltie every spring. He absolutely loves it and he looks cute, like a puppy again. He doesn't spend the summer panting in the heat and his fur grows in beautifully just in time to keep him warm in the fall. Never had a problem with sunburns.

Members online

No members online now.