Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Active Pup

Default My dog is acting weird and scaring me

Hi everyone. I just signed up to the board and I despreatly need an answer. I have a minature schnazer and he is about 9 years old. Over the past few days while he is sleeping he will get up and put his left front paw close to his face, kind of like he is looking at it and its hurting him, and kind of spin around slowly while yelping loudly. After he does this for a little bit he will quit, lean up against something and just sit there dazed out for about 10 minutes. After that he is normal almost. He is doing this about 5 times a day I would say, and I have NO idea what this is. Me and all of my family are so close to scotty and we need to know whats wrong before its to late =/...any input or information is GREATLY appreciated. PLEASE POST!! THANKS, MIKE
Old 04-28-2005, 05:26 PM
MIiA

Hi Stuckknot and welcome to the forums.

To be honest, I've never seen that behavior before. My advice is to describe it to your vet and see what he says - or even take him in. It's way better to be safe than sorry!

I hope everything's okay.

Andrew
Old 04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Take him to the vet a.s.a.p. He may be having some sort of thing related to a seizure. No one online can tell anything. This is something that requires a vet visit. Let us know. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Take him to the vet a.s.a.p. He may be having some sort of thing related to a seizure. No one online can tell anything. This is something that requires a vet visit. Let us know. My thoughts are with you.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Please take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Keep us informed.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for everyones response. I am going to get him to the vet.

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 05:51 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I was thinking the same thing..at least some kind of neural activity..possibly a firing nerve..please come back and let us know!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I've had three dogs who suffered seizures. Especially poor Eli who was on phenobarbitol practically his whole life because of them. Definitely sounds like a seizure. When this happens, just be very calm with your baby and reassure him and soothe him as he's going through it. I made the mistake of freaking out the first time Eli had one before he was diagnosed with epilepsy. But, it may not be epilepsy. Dogs can all of a sudden have a seizure without being epileptic. Oh, and get to the vet! Let us know what you hear...
Old 04-28-2005, 07:22 PM
~3 Mutts~

I was thinking the exact same thing; something sort of like a seizure. I hope Scotty is okay! Let us know what happens!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

My poor IB ( Bubba's Mom ) went through a lot of weird ( plus regular ) seizures ....she had a brain tumor. She would look at things, bite at books and things she never had before, and go into a corner and bark . Don't want to scare you, but you do need to see the vet a.s.a.p.. Please keep us posted !! We care.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Active Pup

Wow everyone...this helps alot...We didnt know what was going on but we always sit with him and pet him until he "snaps out of it"...he is going to the vet in the morning...Thanks for all the posts I will definetly let everyone know whats goin on...Thanks so much, Mike