Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Fuzzy Pants

I'll attest to Shibas...mine love to make noise!
They don't bark, they talk to me. Boy do they ever talk.

That almost mournful cry (obviously saying "MOM FEED ME YOUR FOOD!, i saw you season it better than mine") and those paws start going up and pawing in the air at me, haha.

My Chows are very quiet though.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!

Def. dunno how Rottweiler got put on the Noisest list! My girls are VERY quiet. Def. should replace Rottie with the ACD. LOL Kodak is constantly vocal.

"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Old 02-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Top Dog

Bulldogs are sleepy, quiet dogs. My pugs are also very quiet dogs. Not a yappy breed at all and when they do bark, it's more of a muffled "boof" than a bark.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Uffda!

I dont know about all bostons, but joey is a very quiet dog. If he is playing or getting teased by the cats he'll let out a couple barks, but that is it. Of course, since I live in an apartment, I've always discouraged him from barking, so maybe that's why he is quiet. But he sure can snore up a storm, so maybe he's not that quiet after all!

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 02-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
My pugs are also very quiet dogs. .
Yeah they are quiet unless they are sleeping
Old 02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

My Goldens never barked just for the sake of hearing themselves. Just warnings or door bells,

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgygirl View Post
I dont know about all bostons, but joey is a very quiet dog. If he is playing or getting teased by the cats he'll let out a couple barks, but that is it. Of course, since I live in an apartment, I've always discouraged him from barking, so maybe that's why he is quiet. But he sure can snore up a storm, so maybe he's not that quiet after all!
ROFL, My friends Boston, barks at a leaf dropping That's just how much he barks! lol

Agree with what others have said

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Happy

I second the idea about going to a shelter to look. If you've never been to an animal shelter, it's insane; every dog barks like a maniac, so the ones who are disinclined to bark really stand out. And you get a good idea of the timbre of bark; I saw an absolutely gorgeous Bouvier in the shelter once who, I swear, probably lost himself a swooning wouldbe owner every time he opened his mouth; he had a bark that would shatter steel.

One thing to keep in mind; while breeds/types like the collies, terriers and toys have well-deserved reputations for nonstop, excruciating barking, some breeds which don't tend to bark a lot have other noise drawbacks. GSDs, for example, don't tend to bark at the drop of a hat, but once they've alerted on something, they seem to drone on and on and on about it. And hounds bay, especially beagles, which are otherwise nice small dogs.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
Yeah they are quiet unless they are sleeping
LOL, true indeed.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

My Shibas don't tend to bark that much, unless it's for a reason. Even then, only Kimi barks when the doorbell rings, Tai rarely does. The only time he makes a peep is when there's something we should know about (ie: suspicious person lurking around our yard, animals running through the back, etc.)

I found that the Shibas at my breeder's house were quite similar. For as many dogs as she had there (she has a thriving boarding kennel that many of her puppy buyers use), there was never all that much noise.

HOWEVER...when it comes time to clip nails they do SCREAM. And it literally sounds like someone is being killed. This sound is so well known throughout the Shiba fancy that you can buy bumper stickers that say "I survived the Shiba Scream," and "Shibas do it screaming." (Naughty one, I know ).

So, while they aren't the dog to bark mindlessly for hours while you're away (they're Japan's most popular apartment dog!) they CAN be VERY loud when they feel the occassion calls for it.