Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Default What breeds are quietest?

Eventually I'm going to try to persuade my landlord to let me keep a dog in my apartment. *crosses fingers* What breeds tend to be the quietest? (I know it depends on the individual dog, but in general. )
Old 02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Here's a list of the noisiest and quietest dogs from PetVR.com

I have to disagree a bit with the basenji. Basenjis have a reputation as difficult to train and while they do not bark they do chortle and yodel and make other oddball noises which help to make them endearing.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Gadget Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
What breeds tend to be the quietest? (I know it depends on the individual dog, but in general. )
There are certainly large variations within breeds. In our apartment complex the 2 poodles that right next to me (different apartments) bark constantly, earning their top 10 status on Jason's list.

My mini poodle never barks or vocalizes at all unless someone knocks on the door...then just one yip.

My question for those with experience...if you are looking for a quiet dog is your best solution to find a dog with 2 quiet parents, or are their huge variations even within litters?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
and Spy.

MY suggestion would be to go to the local pound and get an adult dog. That way, you know EXACTLY what you are getting as opposed to taking a guess with a puppy.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Fuzzy Pants

You can also train a dog to learn when it is acceptable to be loud and rambunctious, and when it is not. It's easier with some breeds than others, but it's hard to say, as stated above, what you're going to get with puppies, even based on the parents.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm All Ears

All I know is the quietest breed is NOT shelties. LOL
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
All I know is the quietest breed is NOT shelties. LOL

AMEN TO THAT! They are so noisy.

Best bet is to go and look at adult dogs. Then you'll now excatly what they are like. My sheltie never barked as a pup and grew up to be very vocal.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you dead yet?

Not a Papillon, Boemy. XD

My Border Collies are quiet. The pup hasn't made a sound other than quiet whines and growls (and I don't expect her to make much noise at all, all the dogs in her lines are silent workers) and Dakota, who is vocal for a BC, only barks when commanded to or when someone comes to the door.

I do have to throw out a caution about shelter dogs. They may not bark at the shelter, but once they settle in at home they can make more noise than a small jet. I fostered a GSD that was absolutely silent at the shelter and quite the barker/howler at home.

I'd be prepared to work on noise issues with any dog you get. No dog is truly silent, lol.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Dafuq?

The noise increases a hundred fold when my dad visits with his Sheltie and Tibetan Spaniel. My APBT only barks when stimulated by play or teased into it.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
We are Home.

^^^^ thats how mine are. Tytus barks and jumps(dances) for his food but thats it.

Walker barely ever barks the last time i heard him bark was a month ago now he whines and stuff when we play but never a full out bark (unless we are hunting)

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie