Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Does Your Dog Lick Your Wounds?

It's weird.

Today, I picked a scab I had and it started bleeding. Well I cleaned most of it up but there was still like a small stain of blood.

Well, Rocky was sitting next to me and he just starts licking it. This is the second time this has happened.

Does anyone know why? I don't mind it at all, it's just I was wondering if anybody else's dog did this.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Island dweller

I think it's normal. I'm a little weird though. I don't like it when my dogs lick me a lot. Especially if they've been eating cat poop! But, yeah, dogs lick wounds.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

they're just kissing your boo-boos ! Trying to help you.... but the smell of blood is good too!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Dr Bronki let me know when anyone had a cut..and when Mary and onyx fought..i did a body sweep thinking she was uninjured, until i saw Victor was licking her ear over and over..sure enough i found two punctures there. It is a necessary action to be taken by animals..to care for their wounds..and to care for each other. When i had my jaw surgery..they had to open my head up quite a bit on both sides. I took about 50 stitches both sides included...and Bronki was insistant that he should "take care of me"..i had a terrible time getting him to leave the bandages alone. Now they have found that dogs can sniff out cancers too. I have read many stories where a person will have their dog bump them, lick them, in a certain area repeatedly.finding out later that it was a sight of a cancerous tumor....only one more proof that they are angels trying to take care of us..instead of us taking care of them.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Active Pup

When I was growing up I was told if a dog licks your wound, it helps heal it. I know it may sound gross but a I think it is true. However, you would never want a cat to lick your wound because they have poison in their saliva.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

the licking increases the circulation which speeds the process of healing..and helps dislodge any debris that might increase the risk of infection..cleansing a wound and keeping it clean by covering it does the same thing..for the wild ones..they have only themselves to take care of their wounds so this method is there only resource....when a puncture drives bacteria down deep...a wild animal could lick to kingdom come..and they would still get an abcess. The saliva does not cure the wound,,it is the licking action that helps.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Felurian

Smkie's right about cleaning the wounds, but their saliva does have some anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that points this out. I really got a charge out of the guy who couldn't get his athlete's foot to clear up no matter what he used or took. He started sitting around in the evening with his shoes and socks off and his Terrier started licking his feet where the infection was. It cleared up.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense; dogs are scavengers and they eat rancid stuff that's rife with all sorts of bacterial and fungal growth all the time. It doesn't hurt them like it would us. It's apparent that there has to be something in a dog's system that functions as anti-bacterials and anti-fungals.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-30-2005, 08:39 AM
BusterLove

its normal, all ours do it, apparently, dog spit is good for the healing process

Old 04-30-2005, 09:04 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

guess that is why their mouths are cleaner than ours
Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
guess that is why their mouths are cleaner than ours

Yeah, I heard that even after drinking from the toilet, a dogs mouth will be cleaner than a humans. Go figure.