Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Thank you! Glad I'm not entirely disappointing.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Jerk.

Way to go Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thank you! Glad I'm not entirely disappointing.
You're not. Just do as you're told and stay on the straight and narrow and everything will be fine.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Yay good news!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Naturally Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_els View Post
One pup or 10, it doesn't matter. The problem isn't with the number, it's with the schedule and method.

Thanks for the drive-by poop fling.
my comments -
yes it does matter how many pups there are. its innately harder to train something ONE dog needs to know when you are distracted by another pup. you have to watch for TWo signals, in focusing on one dog (especially when they are together) you have given the other pup an opportunity to be ignored as you focus on that one. and when one pup makes a mess, the other is likely to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_els View Post
Valentines of poop!

I woke-up this morning and there was no pee anywhere. I've been taking them out every two hours. On top of that, they're telling me when they need to go. They make a whine, different from their other whines, and they start looking anxious. I scoop-up the pup and run out the door and voila! Poop!
i would not scoop up and run - are you going to carry them all the time?

Quote:
y Tweeter had success in learning recall! I called him from outside and with constant calling and waving bologna at him, he followed without hesitation. Boomer isn't as consistent. H
i think this is a big thing - you are not outside with the pups on leash? that is HUGE issue with training - you cannot jackpot them if they go, or prevent them from wandering and doing whta they want when its time to do potty things. my dogs when being trained, are not allowed to wander and have fun until the pooping and peeing is DONE. they go, i jackpot, and voila, fun time off leash! does it suck? yes - but i spent a horrible winter in MA with a 10 month old male doberman who tried to mark in the house at any given chance, as well as a 9 year old dobe bitch who had previously been an outside dog, housebreaking both of them. did i hate standing outside in 4 foot drifts of snow? you bet - but stand out there i did until they went!

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

Hi doberkim!

I take them outside, play, and train with them separately.

Scoop-and-run is recommended by all the training books I have. Better to interrupt the flow and whisk them outside than to allow them to only make it part way and have to go in the house. I do not plan to always carry them, however it's about 60 feet to the potty door and most 9 week old pups don't have much grace time between when they need to go and when they actually let go. Tweeter's learning recall very well. He will follow me down the hall and out the door. Boomer gets distracted very easily. I expect things will get better, after all, they've been with me less than a week.

Yes I am outside with them. What gave you the idea I wasn't? Right now I am not using a leash because collars distract them no end. I'm gradually introducing collars to them and have ordered the break-aways just to be safe. When I took them outside using the collar they spent the entire time trying to get it off. We go outside, I urge them to pee or poop or both and only after they accomplish do they get a treat.

Does this explanation satisfy your curiosity?

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad weather experiences however I haven't told you about raising my last puppy in -40F weather in Colorado in the winter of 1986 in Steamboat Springs (if you don't believe me look it up) and what it took to make sure we didn't get frostbite on a simple pee break. If you want to get into a contest of who was more miserable, I would definitely win.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron

Last edited by jason_els; 02-15-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

Congratulations Jason.
I'm glad to see your confidence returning.
I think you just got overwhelmed by it all by overthinking your situation and possibly some other things thrown at you at one time.

If you remember (on your previous thread) I said to the effect, consistency is the the key. And even if you miss some sleep as we all have.

And just to let you know, I have (as MANY others have) housetrained oodles of pups...........I NEVER had one that suffered ANYTHING because their water was discontinued over night. And yes, controlling their water and food intake will shorten the housetraining nightmare.

And as for the man on the Weather Channel, he probably was talking about leaving a dog outside for a period exceeding the potty break time.
Great to hear things are looking up and isn't it great how a positive "happening" will boost you up just a little!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love That Collie View Post
Congratulations Jason.
I'm glad to see your confidence returning.
I think you just got overwhelmed by it all by overthinking your situation and possibly some other things thrown at you at one time.
Thank you! I think so too. Leaving my old job, starting a new business, helping my father, and a whole host of changes are causing me a lot of stress.
Quote:
If you remember (on your previous thread) I said to the effect, consistency is the the key. And even if you miss some sleep as we all have.
We've gone 2 days with no accidents. I withdrew water last night and now have them on 3 feedings a day (9am, 2pm, 7pm). I'm kind of floored that just keeping a schedule has done so much for them in 4 days. I'm crossing my fingers!
Quote:
And as for the man on the Weather Channel, he probably was talking about leaving a dog outside for a period exceeding the potty break time.
The vet was a woman

Quote:
Great to hear things are looking up and isn't it great how a positive "happening" will boost you up just a little!
I'm very happy. Tweeter is doing really well. He now follows me to the door, knows his name, and generally comes when I call. I started doing clicker training today and I'm excited about that. I'm a bit worried about Boomer. He's like a big dumb jock type. All muscle and no brain. He needs work as he hasn't picked-up anything his brother has despite the same training time.

Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

We've gotten about a week or two of 30 below zero the last couple of winters. My dogs go out to potty and come right back in. It's not that big of a deal. Yes, I'm sure the person on the weather channel meant not to leave dogs outside for prolonged periods.

Jason, I hope you understand my rather slap stick humor. It's not meant as an insult. It's more of an elbow in the ribs sort of joshing. You're coming along great.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
We've gotten about a week or two of 30 below zero the last couple of winters.
Ah Idaho.... I have 2 friends from Idaho, Lewiston and Moscow.

Quote:
Jason, I hope you understand my rather slap stick humor. It's not meant as an insult. It's more of an elbow in the ribs sort of joshing. You're coming along great.

Thank you. Given the, how shall I put it, concern? I tried not to be overly defensive but I did feel as though I was getting it from all sides when what I'm trying to do is just keep everything together. Just keeps ringing through my head, no good deed goes unpunished.

So who are you? Someone in another thread was very impressed with your training credentials. Now I'm curious. I keep picturing Maurice's survivalist girlfriend with the two dobermans on Northern Exposure. "Perimeter!," she ordered and the dogs flew off to patrol her property. I remembered that command. I was impressed.