Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Default Best breed for a trucker

I know someone who is a trucker. He now has his own Semi-truck and can have a dog with him for companionship. He was asking my opinion on what breeds would be best.

He said he can stop when ever the dog needs to and exercise the dog as much as a person living in a home. Not sure how that is possible but I am not a trucker.

Anyway after some thought, I said a Boston Terrier (I like them lol ). I figured small and very people oriented, they are also pretty good watch dogs. He asked about a JRT and I thought they were to high energy.

I also said that any smaller breed that is older (from a rescue) might have lower energy and fit in his life style well.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

I know someone who drives truck and has a Rottie. His dog loves it when they are on the road. Plus when he was in a truck stop the Rottie helped deter a would be theif from breaking into his truck. From what I have heard alot of truck stops can be kind of dangerous.

Since truckers can only drive a certain amout of time per day they usualy have long wait times that are perfect for training and playing with a dog. His Rottie leads a very good life and is a great partner on the road. Plus he gets to spend 24/7 with his dog.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Salty Sea Dog

many of the toy breeds would work perfectly, they dont need uber amounts of excersize and the fact that they can be potty pad trained makes it even easier on long hauls

but most any dog can adapt to a life on the road so long as given plenty of rest stops. id avoid any of the hearding breed, and most of the terrier, just because of their high energy level, but i met a trucker who traveled with a dane x english mastif and he LOVED it...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I second a rottie, my uncle is a truck driver and has one, and they are inseperable, plus they are very good watch dogs, and love rides, or my uncles does

Punish the deed not the breed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dC8BPA0V...rch=pit%20bull

Take a look at my site!!

http://tailsrus.18.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

Don't you have to lift the dog in and out of the truck? I would think a rottie jumping from that height would be hard on the joints. I used to have rotties, lifting a 130lb dog in and out of a Semi would be a chore.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm All Ears

I've seen truckers with everything. Mainly toy breeds and dachshunds. I met a guy who was a trucker and had a lab and a pom that traveled with him. Both seemed equally content.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Walks into Mordor

Also agree with a rottie, if he's capable of handling one. When my uncle's rottie had pups, two went to new homes with truckers. What's funny is that years later, the truckers both stopped by to pay a visit and show how the "pups" had grown! Both rotties were very happy and content.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
Don't you have to lift the dog in and out of the truck? I would think a rottie jumping from that height would be hard on the joints. I used to have rotties, lifting a 130lb dog in and out of a Semi would be a chore.

Hmmm, thats a good question. I think the truck driver I know has a few steps going down, and then his dog has to jump about the same distance as my dogs do jumping out of a Tahoe.....if that makes sense, ha ha.

One of my past Rotties couldn't jump out due to ED so I would just support him under his belly while holding onto his collar. Very little impact that way.

Researching breeders that do extensive health testing is a must with Rottweilers as I am sure you know. The difference between my rescue Rott and my Rott from a reputable breeder is amazing. I've always wanted to get into agility with her because she would be great at it. She's almost 7 and I had her joints x-rayed a couple months back and they look great. I would think doing agility would be pretty much the same as jumping out of a truck, as far as joint stress, and there are tons of Rotties doing agility. My girl comes from working lines so good joints are a must.

I'm not trying to convince you.....really, I'm not!

ETA: My female Rott is 90 pounds at her heaviest. If he decides on a Rott maybe a female would be good.

Thanks Steveinski!

Last edited by J's crew; 02-09-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's crew View Post
I know someone who drives truck and has a Rottie. His dog loves it when they are on the road. Plus when he was in a truck stop the Rottie helped deter a would be theif from breaking into his truck. From what I have heard alot of truck stops can be kind of dangerous.

Since truckers can only drive a certain amout of time per day they usualy have long wait times that are perfect for training and playing with a dog. His Rottie leads a very good life and is a great partner on the road. Plus he gets to spend 24/7 with his dog.
I agree. One of the larger breeds that don't have super amounts of energy and have an intimidating look . . . protective nature is a bonus! I think a Rottie would be perfect. Maybe a smaller Presa even.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i think pug