Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Active Pup

Default Dog Training

Hey guys, me personally own and raise 4 black labs. Nothing is better then having those companions around, if they are trained lol. Take a look at this site, it made sense to me and might help some of you with your problems.

Cheers, Dave

*edited to remove spammy click-bank link*

Last edited by eddieq; 12-09-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw6569 View Post
I have read many articles regarding training your puppy .

Our puppy is currently 11 weeks old and the only really thing that bugs me is his continuously wanting to bite.
We have had his for 4 weeks now he loves his food , i mean what puppy don't.
I take him out every couple to 3 hours.
He can go for nearly 2 hours being on his own , as he will need to go for longer periods when i recover from a broken ankle.
But he always seems to get hyper and then that's when his biting starts at first i did not think it would last that long , but he really is a very dominating dog, of which we are trying to get him out of that.
My wife is the more experienced of the two of us even thought this will be my 4th dog.
But it really is stressing us out as he is a truly gorgeous looking dog, he enjoys his walks, even though he tries so hard when people are just walking by to be very sociable, but not every one is animal orientated.
But his biting is beginning to get out of hand
The simple answer to the biting is: normal puppy behavior. But still you don't want to encourage the bating of human flesh...right,lol. So, you need to redirect and praise. Find a toy that your dog would prefer to bite rather than your your limbs. I have had good success with a knotted rope, you can buy one at any pet store(I think they are called dental floss or dental rope) they help with keeping your dogs teeth clean also.

When your dog bites something you don't want it to bite, redirect to the new toy and give lavish praise when he or she bites the toy.

I know I have had my share of kids P.J. and pant legs torn to shreds do to puppy teeth, the good news is 99% of the time puppies grow out of this and yours will too.

Last edited by eddieq; 01-07-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Abbys Dad

Cool

If you ever watch puppys play you may notice that puppy A bites puppy B's ear and tugs a little bit. Puppy B yelps and stops playing with puppy A.

If you apply this to your biting dilemma, the next time your puppy bites you, make a loud "yelping" sound or just say outch! And ignore your puppy and turn your back for a few seconds. I have found this to be a very powerfull training tool.

Eventualy your puppy will learn that biting will lead to an abrupt halt in playtime.

Last edited by RedsLabs; 01-20-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added the last sentence
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Active Pup

Default Potty Training Your Puppy

Hi, welcome to the "No Magic Bullet" of potty training your puppy. The internet forums, blogs, ebooks, etc..., are filled with similar information. So for the sake of brevity I will lend you this formula that has worked so well for many of our Long Island Dog Training members.

The following requires the use of a crate (one that is just big enough for the puppy to stand up and turn around (you should try to get one with the divider to save you money when your puppy starts to grow).

Mandatory time to take your puppy outside to eliminate:

1. After each Meal (wait about (15) minutes, (you will start to be able to read your dog for his tell tale signs, use (15) minutes as a rule of thumb, my German Shepherd Dog (22 months old) eats at 11:00 pm, and eliminates the next moring at 7:00am) take the puppy outside, ensure you have a treat and when the puppy eliminates treat and praise heavily.

2. Immediately after letting the puppy out of the crate.

3. Prior to putting the puppy back in the crate.

4. After all training and play session.

The other times are when you start to become aware of your puppy's cues.

Things to remember:

Keep your puppy on the leash so you can interrupt any accidents in progress, this is how puppies learn, you need for them to understand that they are wrong for performing the ACT, rather than it just being present in the same room. A mistake made by many pet owners.

The main objective is to prevent or catch in the act!

The puppy should be uncrated when you can devote 100 per cent of your time to him.

In addition, keep this in mind...repetition forms a habit...everytime he goes in the house, a habit is forming (an unwanted one), but everytime he is rewarded for pottying outside, one is formed too.

Hope this was helpful. For some more information on dog training and some pretty funny videos please feel free to browse my blog in your leisure. www.DedicatedDogTrainingBlog.com
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
THE Dog Class

Default Hosuetraining tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg View Post
How do you house break a dog with out yelling and screaming. I love positive reinforcement training not negative training. What's the propper way to do this?
Some simple pointers can be viewed here: Housetraining Tips
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg View Post
How do you house break a dog with out yelling and screaming. I love positive reinforcement training not negative training. What's the propper way to do this?
Some simple pointers can be viewed here: Housetraining Tips
It can also be found here: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t4679/#post48905
Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Training Pro =)

Quote:

Our puppy is currently 11 weeks old and the only really thing that bugs me is his continuously wanting to bite.
He can go for nearly 2 hours being on his own , as he will need to go for longer periods when i recover from a broken ankle.
But he always seems to get hyper and then that's when his biting starts at first i did not think it would last that long , but he really is a very dominating dog, of which we are trying to get him out of that.
My wife is the more experienced of the two of us even thought this will be my 4th dog.
But it really is stressing us out as he is a truly gorgeous looking dog, he enjoys his walks, even though he tries so hard when people are just walking by to be very sociable, but not every one is animal orientated.
I have had a lot of similar problems with my dog but as she got older things calmed down.

Every dog has a specific personality and the truth is there is not much fun in breaking a dog's spirit to get them to conform with our idea of how they should be.

It does sound like to need to keep the dominance and let the dog know when too much is too much. To even take it to the extreme the dog may not even know the biting is hurting. It is just a game to the dog.

Many experts advise if biting is getting out of hand to Bite Back! As funny as it sounds it works and the dog understands that biting hurts.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Active Pup

Quote:

I agree w/ just buying as many chew toys as possible...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Many experts advise if biting is getting out of hand to Bite Back! As funny as it sounds it works and the dog understands that biting hurts
No offence, but this is really bad advice. And anyone who advises that is NOT an expert.

Read this instead. Read the whole thing.

Bite Inhibition Article
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
THE Dog Class

Default Crate Size

One thing often overlooked in crate training is to make sure the dog only has enough room to turn around and lie down. You can manage this by buying a crate small enough, or block off part of it with something, like a plastic milk crate. Good luck. :Marie: