Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Couldn't this get put up as a sticky? So many requests for housetraining....
Your wish is my command. Good idea Red!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Active Pup

One thing that really helped me was to teach my dog to pee on command. We only had 3 accidents in the house ( 1 was completely my fault), the other two she was still learning. I tell her to go potty, and that's it. This has come in very handy when it's cold, we are driving somewhere, and when the vet needs a urine sample. Every time she pottied in the right place I praised her (while she was going) and had a treat waiting for her when she was done.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Happy dogs expert

My take on training our dogs to do what pleases us, be it paper training, toilet training is to be very consistent...our pets learn by association, so if we are consistent, they get it really fast. so rally your family members to cooperate to ensure they are reminded each time "acccidents" happens.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Top Dog

I totally agree with this method, it's so simple. One exception, I did it without a crate, just puppies own little room, with bed, toys & water.
April, now 14 had a few mistakes, but Sooty, now 6 1/2 was trained at 10 weeks old. One Christmas I left her in her room while I went to my cousins for Dinner. I was gone for 7 hours. I opened the door & walked in gingerly, as the light switch is across the room. There was nothing there to step in. I was so proud of her. I put her outside to do what she had to & brought her back in for the night.
We adopted both dogs a 5 1/2 weeks old, hence some of their other issues!
But they're both great dogs to live with.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Active Pup

Excellent thread.

My quesiton is... are those pee-pads ok to use? Afterall i wont be able to take the new pup outside 5 times a day if its raining or snowing.

The praise thing has worked so far with my 11week old american eskimo. (only had her for 3 days) She wont go in her crate/bed anymore which is good. She will go first thing in the morning outside instead. Most of the time she only whines now when she has to go to the bathroom. So thats my sign to take her out.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My quesiton is... are those pee-pads ok to use? Afterall i wont be able to take the new pup outside 5 times a day if its raining or snowing.
I don't recommend them... They tend to be very confusing to the dog, although it does work for some it fails for most. As far as rain she can go out in it as much as it were a regular day (even if you don't like it your going ) and you don't have to worry about snow for a while since it's June but I'm sure she can handle that just fine too. She is an ESKIMO dog after all lol. You'll have to brave the weather.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Active Pup

Well i was more concerned about how she will smell after the rain/snow.

Im a priss
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Active Pup

So far the advice here has worked.

Only one question. After a nap I took her outside and sure enough she went to the bathroom. But then we came back inside and she had more water, does that mean i should take her out yet again in 20 mins?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I would. It's better to be safe than sorry, better to take her out "too much" than not enough.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg View Post
How do you house break a dog with out yelling and screaming. I love positive reinforcement training not negative training. What's the propper way to do this?
scream in an encouraging fashion.. like......in ...the military..