Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Twin 2

Default Training Sadness

"Think of praise like candy, a little bit is just fine but a steady diet can be toxic!"

You know, sometimes I read something that even though it's not detailed, not abusive or attacking it just makes me, I don't know? Uncomfortable? Sad? Disheartened? Whatever the word, this is one of them.

I saw this on a FB training group, it was immediately agreed with and it just was disappointing. It's regretful that people spend so much time thinking things like this and not as much time just out there having fun and enjoying their dog. It's just such a negative attitude and I can't imagine anyone who is passionate about dogs and training approaching them with this sort of mind frame.

There really is no point to this post, that quote just made me sad.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Behavior Nerd

Totally agree! I can't imagine thinking I needed to ration praise and positive feedback for any of the living beings I live with. Use it judiciously? Sure! But ration it? Nope.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

That is hearbreaking.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

My poor dogs are getting poisoned. I'm praising them all the time, especially Jack when he's being good.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Twin 2

Mine too, though maybe I temper it out with a steady dose of "I"M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

Seriously though, I just don't understand that mindframe and while I don't think it's abusive or anything of that sort it just makes me sigh, shake my head and go give my dog a hug with lots of baby talk on top
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I can't imagine not giving my dog praise. She does so many things that are praise worthy, and nothing makes her happier than to hear me praise her and she gives me PLENTY of reasons to do so.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I have to watch how I praise Zander. If I praise him for a down, when I tell him a down, he continues to offer down even when I give a sit command. Same for whisper. I praise a whisper, and he thinks it's all good and jolly to start yelling. I tell him to lay down while we are in the game room, and later I find him opening doors to get in the game room to go lay down rather than just chilling out in the bedroom with me or on the landing.

But Zander is an exception. He's a dork. And he really doesn't care about pleasing me, just getting my attention. Blah for independent dogs.

I loved praising the girls, though. Especially Eve. That girl was QUICK. She'd be fabulous in agility, obedience, and who knows what else. She was all about pleasing you, and thrived on as much praise as you could give her. So much enthusiasm for EVERYTHING. Loved it.

Praise isn't a bad thing. Like someone else said, it just needs to be given judiciously.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM
overdogged

I just started reading Plenty in Life is Free by Kathy Sdao. I am loving it. It really resonates with me, as does your sadness at that quote.

I had a trainer once criticize me for praising every blessed thing Luce did. She turned out ok. I stand by my method
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Sad Especially since I believe it was referring to a parenting segment on the Today show? Also very sad way to raise children.
Sure, if you don’t know how to praise a specific behavior, you could end up with an entitled, selfish child... But hello! No way am I not going to share love and joy with my children OR my dogs every time I feel it.

I can’t imagine thinking “oh that was so cool” then not saying anything because I have some random praise quota going on.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Sport Model Pug

One thing I wonder when I see the types that don't like praise or treats or even play and are rather harsh on their dogs is why do they have a dog? Or if they play sports with them I question why they do it. I've seen some hardcore obedience people try and cross over to agility and they honestly look like they're having zero fun and they're very hard on their dogs and don't even say "good dog" after a run. That irks me, it's just a game so lighten up and bloody well enjoy your dog and your time with them.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug