Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Active Pup

Default pee's in right place, poops in wrong place

this is driving me crazy! for the past week or so my dog pee's in the right place but she always goes underneath the table and poops on the rug! i dont really know how to punish her, everytime i see her go underneath the table i say NO but that isnt working.

what should i do to help redirect her to the right place?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Your pup is still really young, and sometimes certain dogs will be harder to potty train than others. I would be consistant. Mack sure that you are watching her constantly. Tell her "no" when she poops in the wrong place, and then carry her to the correct place and praise her. When she goes to the bathroom (both poop and pee) in the correct place, praise her. Give her a ton of praise (even make up a "poopy dance" if it works!). Dogs live to please, and she will learn that she would rather make you happy than to be told no.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
swimming upstream

If she keeps returning to the spot under the table--make sure you have cleaned it well (Nature's Miracle works well)--and then I would try blocking that space so she can't access it--at least it could break that spot, and maybe she will give better signs to you that she needs to go!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

If you scold your puppy too sternly, "NO!" or any other way that makes her nervous, fearful, uneasy, she will be more apt to hide it from you. She doesn't know where to go. She's guessing. If she gets punished, she will be afraid to go in front of you and she can think that it is unsafe to go to the bathroom. Period. You need to prevent accidents. It's up to you, not your puppy. Supervise her literally every second that she is loose in the house. Take her out more frequently. Go with her and praise her and give her a high value treat, something really yummy when she goes outside....immediately when she's finished. There is a sticky either in the puppy forum or the training forum with good tips for potty training. If you do catch her in the act, do nothing more than intererupt her with a "woops" kind of word....a little disappointment but not so much to frighten her bewilder her. She doesn't know yet. You must prevent accidents and reward highly her successes. The more times she is reinforced with a fantastic treat and your praise, immediately upon finishing, the quicker she'll stop guessing where she's suppose to go.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Default Also

Besides cleaning the area really good under the table why not block it off so she can't go hide under there at all--maybe with some cardboard or with some pillows.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Puppy Dog

if you see her under table take her and put her were she is to poop and try that.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Puppy Dog

mine totally opposite of ur prob. my puppy poops in the right place but pee at the wrong plce. everytime he pee in the wrong place, i will say 'NO' and make he watch me cleaning his stuff. somehow it works for a while..
Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
mine totally opposite of ur prob. my puppy poops in the right place but pee at the wrong plce. everytime he pee in the wrong place, i will say 'NO' and make he watch me cleaning his stuff. somehow it works for a while..
No, it doesn't work. He continues to pee in the "wrong" place because you allow it to happen.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
No, it doesn't work. He continues to pee in the "wrong" place because you allow it to happen.
oh ok, so any advise? Some say place him in the right place and give him a treat...but will it works if i put him at the right place only after he pee?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
little liz

I don't know if this is the right thing to do but I would say a not too stern 'out' or 'do want to go out!'and pick Minnie up as soon as I noticed that she was about to or had started to go... take her outside and wait until she weed or pooped and then praised her like crazy. If I was too late I would just clean it up and say nothing. I was told that saying no or out or whatever was sufficient to stop a pup in mid action and therefore giving you time to get them to the proper place. Minnie was probably pretty much house trained by 4 months, give or take the odd little accident. For the first few weeks though....she needed to go like every 10 minutes (no exaggeration!) non of this once an hour stuff! by that time there would have been puddles everywhere tee hee. Thank goodness there was vast improvement with age.

For pet portraits get in touch here