Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Default advice needed for good friend

a good friend of mine has 4 dogs and has just found out she is 5 months pregnant with twins!
however i think she has just realised that she wont be able to cope with 2 newborns and 4 dogs as well as it not being fair on the dogs who are used to her 100% attention. she thinks she should rehome 2 maybe 3 dogs but cant make the decission which ones, i mean imagine having to decide what dogs to keep or rehome.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

That would be horrible to have to do. I could not do it. I mean, how do you decide which dogs to give up and which to keep? I know twins will be a LOT of work though. Are the dogs all older or are any of them puppies?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Oh, that is just so sad. She sounds like a doglover, too. What is their breeds? That's just the kind of thing Rescue is set up for... to find GOOD homes and maybe she could still visit them once in awhile. What breeds? Mixes? Big? Little?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

That would be like choosing certain children one over the other... can't imagine. How about giving up one of the twins and keeping the dogs? Don't hit me!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Felurian

Splitting up the dogs will cause them to grieve. It could even cause jealousy of the babies if she waits until close to the time for the babies to be born.

Straight up - I couldn't do it. The dogs would stay. Even if it half-killed me to do everything; besides, if they're adult dogs would it really be so impossible?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Splitting up the dogs will cause them to grieve. It could even cause jealousy of the babies if she waits until close to the time for the babies to be born.

Straight up - I couldn't do it. The dogs would stay. Even if it half-killed me to do everything; besides, if they're adult dogs would it really be so impossible?
I agreee! I'd suck up and do it! There's no way I could ever give one of my four legged "babies" up... they're family members, too.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

So would I.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Me too, i'd keep them. Rehoming of dogs causes so many emotional problems that people just don't realize. I'd give it a try for a least a little while. Having 4 dogs is a big responsibility in itself, so I'm sure your friend is experienced with keeping everything balanced? Hey, after four, what's two more? lol
Old 04-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

i felt the same as all of you, i still do, but her situation is different.
2 dogs are black labs, yoga is 3 years old, blaze is 2
she also has beccy a 1 year old caveliar ***** and sascha a very boisterous 6 month old border collie.
they all have great pedigrees etc and are house trained but at present require 3 walks a day and a lot of attention. sascha is undergoing a lot of training at the moment and she doesnt think its going to be fair on any of them to lose her attention and time. her husband works offshore and is away for 4 months at a time so she will be basically alone to cope

Old 04-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Island dweller

Wow that would be a lot of work. I'd do what Renee said.

What about getting a dog walker or having a nice big fenced yard for them to play in? I don't walk my dogs everyday but I do go out and play ball with them at least once a day usually more.

Other than that my suggestion, and I hate to make it, would be to give up the two youngest (preferably to the same home) since they will probably be the most adaptable and the least accepted in the pack. Maybe. What a situation! I don't like this thread.