Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-05-2004, 02:01 AM
Owned By Neos

Hi there guys,
I just reread my first post. When I was writing it i was understandably wild and was not paying much attention to what I wrote, don't get me wrong... I meant every word of it, I just wanted to say sorry for all the typos.

And thank you for yuor support serena and renee.

Cheers
Mz Mutley
Old 10-14-2004, 05:55 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaecho
Many Dobies are big wimps - they tend to be either all or nothing type dogs. Either very aggressive or pussy cats! So seeing both parents would give you a very good indication of how your pup would respond to a potential threat when he gets older. If the parents bark a warning when you approach, but don't try to attack, you'd probably have a good chance of having a dog who would sound a warning.
First of all, it is Dobe. Second of all, I don't believe "pussy cat" or "aggressive" are listed anywhere under the temperament requirements for a Doberman. Like Renee said, that is a fault.

From the AKC standard:
Temperament
Energetic, watchful, determined, alert, fearless, loyal and obedient. The judge shall dismiss from the ring any shy or vicious Doberman.

Shyness: A dog shall be judged fundamentally shy if, refusing to stand for examination, it shrinks away from the judge; if it fears an approach from the rear; if it shies at sudden and unusual noises to a marked degree.

Viciousness: A dog that attacks or attempts to attack either the judge or its handler, is definitely vicious. An aggressive or belligerent attitude towards other dogs shall not be deemed viciousness.

Another point I would like to make is that you usually don't get a chance to see both the dam and sire of a litter. The breeder rarely owns both the sire and dam.

As far as protective instincts, all responsibly bred Dobermans have them. They are personal protection dogs (not guard dogs), and are therefore bred to protect the ones they love. The only dogs that may deviate from the standard protective instincts, are those that you get from the BYBs in papers and online ads.

As I think everyone has thoroughly proved, your "knowledge" on dog breeds is far from fact.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Show Dog

Giant Schnauzers are great guard dogs. Absolutely fearless, courageous, and loyal to death.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by siemens716
Giant Schnauzers are great guard dogs. Absolutely fearless, courageous, and loyal to death.
So are standard Schnauzers. I also have to disagree with the Neo and Cane Corso comment. Mastiffs are some of the most easygoing breeds out there. They normally won't attack unless the situation really demands it. But then, to get that, the dogs have to be socialized a LOT.
Bad breeders, and poorly unsocialized dogs in any dog, but particuarly the guarding breeds, is just asking for an attack.

Also, mutts can make great gaurd dogs. Blackie is a Lab mix (we don't know if he is part Rottie or not. He might even be pure Lab. *shurgs shoulders*) He is a very good gaurd dog. He loves people, but I have no doubt in my mind that he would defend us if the situation called for it. He also can tell when something isn't quite right, and will bark to tell us that. He doesn't just bark at anything.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I own 15 Siberian Huskies (im a Musher) and it all depends on the dog. I would advise not to get one if your just wanting a good guard dog. 4 of my huskies are protective Hitch, Akara, Nera, and Buck are all not too into strangers on the property but airn't overly aggressive they just bark more then the others thats all. All my other huskies are almost overly friendly lol but thats ok.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Big Mutts

Carey is a big mutt and is very protective (especially over me)She loves people, but not people she doesn't know. Everyone has to "meet" her outside, then when they come in she's fine. I'd hate to see it if someone tried to break in.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
We are Home.

i ahte to see someone break in with walker specially a guy he doesnt like littttttle kids tho he wont bite or growl just bark his fool head off. but it depends on the dog like akira ur an idiot to hurt me or jd but morgan hes the sweetest dog in the world

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 04-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Big Mutts

Carey thinks she's a lapdog if she knows ya, my mama can't sit on the floor at my house
Old 04-24-2005, 01:21 PM
We are Home.

same with walker and hes 50 lbs and growing

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

I liked your post Red Hot. I liked lots of posts here, but since I am owned by a Doberman, I especially could relate to your post Red Hot.

Well here is my .02 worth and my opinion. I think someone looking for a protection dog needs to really research the whole thing extensively and find out not only on dog forums, but go into the breed clubs and see breeders, dog shows and read books....find out how to train and just everything they can get their hands on first.

Yes, indeed, a true pussy cat for a Doberman would be a serious fault. A well bred, well socialized and obedience trained Doberman with correct temperament absolutely must not be shy. They do NOT back down. That's one of their traits talked about that distinguishes them from lots of protective dogs. A lot of dogs will back down under certain situations. They may act like pussy cats and goof balls with their families, but when a real threat presents itself, they go into serious action. I've experienced this on 3 occasions with my 21 month old boy. They should have a healthy suspicion of strangers.....not exceedingly outgoing until they make friends. My Dobe is not aggressive with friendly strangers or any strangers for that matter as long as they're not breaking into my house or threatening me. He totally knows the difference. They are real thinking dogs. (generalization....not all are correct)

So, I agree that the post about all these breeds is way off the mark if we're reading it right. I think the word, aggressive might be meaning different things to different people. Most Dobermans are aggressive. Most dogs of most any breed will display some sort of aggression some time, a ferocious bark at an intruder, going after prey forcefully, biting something or someone who is threatening their resources or family. That is aggression. They are, because of their pack nature designed to protect their pack and the different breeds vary in degree with that nature. But what I think, or am guessing most of us are meaning here is: is this dog or that dog INDISCRIMINATELY aggressive? Is the dog not educated or is the dog not a thinking animal? A dog that runs out and bites someone without assessing the situation first is indiscriminately aggressive and dangerous. I think most of our dogs who we're talking about here are not that way. They have the potential to be aggressive, but know the difference between flying off the handle and how to assess.

I have a great combination: Two Chihuahuas who sound the first alarm in many cases because their hearing is unbelievable and then a Dobe with all the teeth. LOL. If someone hears the little ones barking, they may think, "Big deal." But if they come closer, they'll get the suprise of their life. LOL. Lyric doesn't mess around when someone comes near the house and we're all inside. He gets vicious at the window. As soon as I open the door and speak in a friendly way to the person, he is settled and just watches....not aggressive anymore.

Some Dobes are good protectors and some aren't. They have been mellowed out in recent years. They use to be, in the beginning a much more aggressive dog.